Residents angry over plans for 91 new houses
An East-the-Water resident is hoping to start a petition against access to a proposed new development.
A PLANNING application for 91 new houses in East-the-Water has sparked outrage from angry residents.
Richard Lockwood, of Shamwickshire Close, is concerned the access to the site at Venn, Mines Road, will put young people who play on the street in danger.
Mr Lockwood said: “The access to the site would mean there would be an increase in traffic all through East-the-Water, coming up Ayres Close and Shamwickshire Close to enter the new estate.
“Why can’t they enter the site through Manteo Way? This road was built for the purpose of being a relief road for East-the-Water after all.
You may also want to watch:
“There are so many children that play on the street and they will be in danger if all this traffic increases.
“I’m losing my sight and it’s hard enough as it is for me to get up the steep hills in the winter without having to worry about extra traffic to avoid.”
- 1 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 2 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 3 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 4 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 7 Clubber denies headbutt assault in Barnstaple
- 8 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 9 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
Mr Lockwood has already gathered nearly 50 letters of complaints from residents in the area and his hoping to start a petition against the means of access.
“I hope I can be the spark in the box of kindling to get things going,” he said.