Residents angry over plans for 91 new houses
An East-the-Water resident is hoping to start a petition against access to a proposed new development.
A PLANNING application for 91 new houses in East-the-Water has sparked outrage from angry residents.
Richard Lockwood, of Shamwickshire Close, is concerned the access to the site at Venn, Mines Road, will put young people who play on the street in danger.
Mr Lockwood said: “The access to the site would mean there would be an increase in traffic all through East-the-Water, coming up Ayres Close and Shamwickshire Close to enter the new estate.
“Why can’t they enter the site through Manteo Way? This road was built for the purpose of being a relief road for East-the-Water after all.
“There are so many children that play on the street and they will be in danger if all this traffic increases.
“I’m losing my sight and it’s hard enough as it is for me to get up the steep hills in the winter without having to worry about extra traffic to avoid.”
- 1 Remembering much-loved and once-heaving Ilfracombe train station
- 2 Go ahead for 211 homes but Bideford plans fall short on affordable homes
- 3 North Devon holiday home tax dodgers face crackdown
- 4 South Molton's top 10 rating for pannier market
- 5 Stylish Victorian property offers many period features
- 6 Help turn tide with Appledore community film
- 7 Queen's Theatre panto audiences raise £3,200 for local charities
- 8 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 9 Chance at last to sing along with the Winkleigh Singers
- 10 Popular character Joan dies at 92
Mr Lockwood has already gathered nearly 50 letters of complaints from residents in the area and his hoping to start a petition against the means of access.
“I hope I can be the spark in the box of kindling to get things going,” he said.