Rescue Day brings in the crowds
THE emergency services swung into action at Ilfracombe Pier as drama erupted with multiple casualties reported, in the water, at the base of the cliffs and even trapped in car wreck. It was of course Rescue Day, organised by Ilfracombe Round Table for loc
THE emergency services swung into action at Ilfracombe Pier as drama erupted with multiple casualties reported, in the water, at the base of the cliffs and even trapped in car wreck.
It was of course Rescue Day, organised by Ilfracombe Round Table for local good causes and starring all the emergency services, from police, fire and ambulance to the Chivenor Search and Rescue helicopter, RNLI, coastguard, Red Cross, Exmoor Search and Rescue and many more.
With displays on everything from what happens when you pour water on a chip pan fire to winching a man onto the deck of a lifeboat and a re-creation of mountain rescue from 75 years ago, there was something for everybody.
"It was a terrific day and an enormous success, with a record gate receipt of around �10,000, �1,040 taken by CLIC Sargent alone at the park-and-ride hosted by the rugby club and we believe a record attendance too," said Round Table member Paul Crabb.
You may also want to watch:
"This will mean a massive spin off for the community in the year ahead with the extra money now available to go towards local good causes. Thank you to everybody who took part and the tremendous effort they put in, both on the day and in the lengthy preparations to host the event."
See more Rescue Day pictures on our website at www.northdevongazette.co.uk.
- 1 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 2 Torrington woman rebuilds her life after devastating stroke
- 3 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 4 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 5 £2.1m upgrade will provide space for 38 new North Devon jobs
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 9 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 10 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch