Rescue Day brings in the crowds
THE emergency services swung into action at Ilfracombe Pier as drama erupted with multiple casualties reported, in the water, at the base of the cliffs and even trapped in car wreck. It was of course Rescue Day, organised by Ilfracombe Round Table for loc
THE emergency services swung into action at Ilfracombe Pier as drama erupted with multiple casualties reported, in the water, at the base of the cliffs and even trapped in car wreck.
It was of course Rescue Day, organised by Ilfracombe Round Table for local good causes and starring all the emergency services, from police, fire and ambulance to the Chivenor Search and Rescue helicopter, RNLI, coastguard, Red Cross, Exmoor Search and Rescue and many more.
With displays on everything from what happens when you pour water on a chip pan fire to winching a man onto the deck of a lifeboat and a re-creation of mountain rescue from 75 years ago, there was something for everybody.
"It was a terrific day and an enormous success, with a record gate receipt of around �10,000, �1,040 taken by CLIC Sargent alone at the park-and-ride hosted by the rugby club and we believe a record attendance too," said Round Table member Paul Crabb.
You may also want to watch:
"This will mean a massive spin off for the community in the year ahead with the extra money now available to go towards local good causes. Thank you to everybody who took part and the tremendous effort they put in, both on the day and in the lengthy preparations to host the event."
See more Rescue Day pictures on our website at www.northdevongazette.co.uk.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 6 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 7 GPs in Devon seeing more patients face-to-face than UK average
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Plan to replace old North Devon Leisure Centre with housing submitted