Report highlights North Devon health concerns
ALCOHOL abuse and obesity have been identified as key local public health concerns in North Devon and Torridge. Sexual and mental heath, as well as immunisation take up, were also highlighted among the priorities for the two areas in a Department of Healt
ALCOHOL abuse and obesity have been identified as key local public health concerns in North Devon and Torridge.
Sexual and mental heath, as well as immunisation take up, were also highlighted among the priorities for the two areas in a Department of Health report.
The annual Health Profiles give a snapshot overview of health for each region in England and are designed to help local government and health services to improve people's health and reduce health inequalities.
In North Devon and Torridge, obesity in adults was significantly worse than the national average. In both regions diabetes levels are also higher than the norm, while in North Devon more people claim incapacity benefits due to mental illness. The region also has more cases of malignant melanoma skin cancer and fewer children achieve five A*-C GCSE grades, including English and maths.
You may also want to watch:
In Torridge, the health of people is generally good when compared to the rest of England, while in North Devon the figures are more in line with the national picture.
Compared to the rest of the South West, North Devon fares significantly worse when it comes to levels of incapacity benefit; children in poverty; early deaths from heart disease and stroke; men's life expectancy; physically active children; and infant deaths.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 3 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 4 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 5 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 North Devon's Amy Riley takes her motorsports dream to next level
- 8 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 9 Council leader calls Government 'incompetent' and warns of 'winter of discontent'
- 10 North Devon taxi company appeals for help with driver shortage
North Devon does better in terms of deprivation; teenage pregnancies; statutory homelessness; and physically active adults.
Meanwhile, Torridge performs poorly for GCSE achievement but scores significantly higher than the rest of the South West when it comes to hospital stays for alcohol related harm; deprivation; violent crime; new cases of tuberculosis; deaths from smoking; statutory homelessness; physically active children; and excess winter deaths.