Report highlights North Devon health concerns
ALCOHOL abuse and obesity have been identified as key local public health concerns in North Devon and Torridge. Sexual and mental heath, as well as immunisation take up, were also highlighted among the priorities for the two areas in a Department of Healt
ALCOHOL abuse and obesity have been identified as key local public health concerns in North Devon and Torridge.
Sexual and mental heath, as well as immunisation take up, were also highlighted among the priorities for the two areas in a Department of Health report.
The annual Health Profiles give a snapshot overview of health for each region in England and are designed to help local government and health services to improve people's health and reduce health inequalities.
In North Devon and Torridge, obesity in adults was significantly worse than the national average. In both regions diabetes levels are also higher than the norm, while in North Devon more people claim incapacity benefits due to mental illness. The region also has more cases of malignant melanoma skin cancer and fewer children achieve five A*-C GCSE grades, including English and maths.
You may also want to watch:
In Torridge, the health of people is generally good when compared to the rest of England, while in North Devon the figures are more in line with the national picture.
Compared to the rest of the South West, North Devon fares significantly worse when it comes to levels of incapacity benefit; children in poverty; early deaths from heart disease and stroke; men's life expectancy; physically active children; and infant deaths.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 3 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 4 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 5 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 6 Camp out fundraiser Max receives gift from fallen soldier's family
- 7 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 8 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 9 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
North Devon does better in terms of deprivation; teenage pregnancies; statutory homelessness; and physically active adults.
Meanwhile, Torridge performs poorly for GCSE achievement but scores significantly higher than the rest of the South West when it comes to hospital stays for alcohol related harm; deprivation; violent crime; new cases of tuberculosis; deaths from smoking; statutory homelessness; physically active children; and excess winter deaths.