Report highlights North Devon health concerns
ALCOHOL abuse and obesity have been identified as key local public health concerns in North Devon and Torridge. Sexual and mental heath, as well as immunisation take up, were also highlighted among the priorities for the two areas in a Department of Healt
ALCOHOL abuse and obesity have been identified as key local public health concerns in North Devon and Torridge.
Sexual and mental heath, as well as immunisation take up, were also highlighted among the priorities for the two areas in a Department of Health report.
The annual Health Profiles give a snapshot overview of health for each region in England and are designed to help local government and health services to improve people's health and reduce health inequalities.
In North Devon and Torridge, obesity in adults was significantly worse than the national average. In both regions diabetes levels are also higher than the norm, while in North Devon more people claim incapacity benefits due to mental illness. The region also has more cases of malignant melanoma skin cancer and fewer children achieve five A*-C GCSE grades, including English and maths.
You may also want to watch:
In Torridge, the health of people is generally good when compared to the rest of England, while in North Devon the figures are more in line with the national picture.
Compared to the rest of the South West, North Devon fares significantly worse when it comes to levels of incapacity benefit; children in poverty; early deaths from heart disease and stroke; men's life expectancy; physically active children; and infant deaths.
- 1 2021 North Devon Show cancelled
- 2 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 3 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 4 Prince Philip's last North Devon visit remembered
- 5 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 6 Flags fly at half mast across North Devon for Prince Philip
- 7 Property of the Week: Ford Rise, Bideford
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 10 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
North Devon does better in terms of deprivation; teenage pregnancies; statutory homelessness; and physically active adults.
Meanwhile, Torridge performs poorly for GCSE achievement but scores significantly higher than the rest of the South West when it comes to hospital stays for alcohol related harm; deprivation; violent crime; new cases of tuberculosis; deaths from smoking; statutory homelessness; physically active children; and excess winter deaths.