Relay for Life set for big return
Cancer supporters urged to take up the baton during two-day sponsored walk.
THE organisers of Braunton’s Relay for Life event are appealing for teams to take part in next year’s event.
Schools, businesses, families and friends from all over North Devon are being urged to take up the baton during the weekend of June 8 and 9 in aid of Cancer Research UK.
The 22-hour relay has been staged at the North Devon Athletics Track in Braunton since 2008, with more than �22,000 raised at the last event in 2011.
Team members take turns to complete walking laps during a festival-style family weekend with camping, music, stalls and entertainment.
You may also want to watch:
The event also features a ‘Survivor’s Lap’ at the start of the weekend and a ‘Candle of Hope Ceremony’ that takes place at sunset on the Saturday.
Event spokesperson Sally Greene said: “Our intention for 2013 is to raise even more but we cannot do this unless we have more involvement which means more teams.
- 1 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 2 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 3 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 4 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 7 Celebrating 15 years of North Devon charity Families in Grief
- 8 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 9 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
“Whether you are a workplace group, a school or a group of friends you can form a team. It is great fun and an amazing way of raising money for Cancer Research UK.
“The main fund-raising takes place before the event and we will be holding a launch night at Braunton School on Friday, January 25 for interested teams.
“Team events in previous years have included duck races, quiz nights, fashion shows and even human fruit machines.”
For more information or to register a team, call Stan Westlake on 01271 816340 or Anne Griffiths on 01271 815327.