Relay For Life returns to North Devon
- Credit: Archant
All are welcome to take part in June 8/9 relay at Braunton to help raise money and beat cancer.
THE final countdown to Cancer Research UK’s Relay For Life in North Devon has started and local people are being urged to sign up and take part in the unique fundraising event.
A total of 10 teams of men, women and children have already signed up for the overnight celebration at Braunton Athletics Track over the weekend of Saturday June 9 and Sunday 9.
Organisers are encouraging anyone who would like to enter a team to sign up as soon as possible before time runs out.
“Relay For Life is a great way to spend time with your friends, family and colleagues while raising money for a seriously worth-while cause,” said Stanley Westlake, chairman of the North Devon Relay for Life group.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone knows someone who has been touched by cancer. Taking part in Relay For Life is a positive way to be part of your community and help make a stand against cancer.”
People are asked to raise as much money as possible in the months leading up to the overnight celebration, through a wide range of activities and sponsored events.
- 1 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 4 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 5 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 6 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 10 Brian Greenslade's name scraped off plaque after sex assault trial
At the event, team members take it in turns to walk round a track while everyone else enjoys the carnival atmosphere.
As the Relay continues non-stop through the night, those not on the track take turns to rest, eat, or sleep in nearby tents.
It is open to the whole community and all are welcome to join in on the day and help raise money.
As dusk falls on the Saturday, the atmosphere quietens as the Candle of Hope ceremony begins.
It is the most poignant part of Relay For Life when special Candle of Hope bags decorated with messages, in memory or in celebration of loved ones, are lit and placed around the track.
For information on how to enter visit cruk.org/relay or call 0871 641 2602.