Relay For Life returns to North Devon
- Credit: Archant
All are welcome to take part in June 8/9 relay at Braunton to help raise money and beat cancer.
THE final countdown to Cancer Research UK’s Relay For Life in North Devon has started and local people are being urged to sign up and take part in the unique fundraising event.
A total of 10 teams of men, women and children have already signed up for the overnight celebration at Braunton Athletics Track over the weekend of Saturday June 9 and Sunday 9.
Organisers are encouraging anyone who would like to enter a team to sign up as soon as possible before time runs out.
“Relay For Life is a great way to spend time with your friends, family and colleagues while raising money for a seriously worth-while cause,” said Stanley Westlake, chairman of the North Devon Relay for Life group.
You may also want to watch:
“Everyone knows someone who has been touched by cancer. Taking part in Relay For Life is a positive way to be part of your community and help make a stand against cancer.”
People are asked to raise as much money as possible in the months leading up to the overnight celebration, through a wide range of activities and sponsored events.
- 1 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 2 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 5 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 6 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 7 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 10 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
At the event, team members take it in turns to walk round a track while everyone else enjoys the carnival atmosphere.
As the Relay continues non-stop through the night, those not on the track take turns to rest, eat, or sleep in nearby tents.
It is open to the whole community and all are welcome to join in on the day and help raise money.
As dusk falls on the Saturday, the atmosphere quietens as the Candle of Hope ceremony begins.
It is the most poignant part of Relay For Life when special Candle of Hope bags decorated with messages, in memory or in celebration of loved ones, are lit and placed around the track.
For information on how to enter visit cruk.org/relay or call 0871 641 2602.