Relay for Life ends successful fundraising year
- Credit: Archant
Relay for Life team has raised nearly £100,000 since starting out in 2008.
THE Braunton Relay for Life has hosted its final fundraising event of the year, bringing the total in at just over £21,000.
Since the annual event started in 2008, budding fundraisers racing around the athletics track have raised nearly £100,000 for Cancer Research UK.
Teams from as far as North Molton and Ilfracombe sign up for the main event in June just before Christmas, but volunteers spend the year raising the funds.
Sally Greene, of the Relay for Life team, said: “Relay for life is a very poignant event.
You may also want to watch:
“At this event each member of the team takes their turn walking around the athletics track during the 24 hours. This signifies that cancer never stops.”
Teams camp out at the track and in the evening there is a Candle of Hope ceremony where the track is lit with candles and messages to loved ones.
- 1 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 2 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 3 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 4 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 5 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 6 North Devon grandad takes on 700 mile cycling challenge
- 7 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 8 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 9 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 10 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
The year of fundraising ended with a ‘Brains of Braunton’ quiz in the parish hall, which raised a total of £1,038.
Family team ‘Four on a Mission’ comprised of Jean and Fred Fry, their daughter Gill Comber and their son Peter Fry, beat 19 other teams to claim the prize.
To get involved in the next Relay for Life contact Linda Ackroyd on 07741 035227 or Anne Griffiths on 01271 815327.