Region's police are 'top of the pile'
POLICE in North Devon are out-performing officers throughout the Devon and Cornwall force, according to new figures. In his autumn community update on policing and community safety, Northern Devon Police Commander Superintendent Kevin Harris said that his
POLICE in North Devon are out-performing officers throughout the Devon and Cornwall force, according to new figures.
In his autumn community update on policing and community safety, Northern Devon Police Commander Superintendent Kevin Harris said that his officers were "top the pile" across all categories.
"Our crime reduction from last year's 15 per cent fall has improved by a further seven per cent meaning 301 fewer victims than last year with detections running at 35 per cent," he said.
"This is quite remarkable, with Barnstaple Sector in particular having unprecedented performance. This Sector had 'offences brought to justice' over the past two months running on a 2:1 ratio. At one point 52 per cent of all recorded crimes were resulting in a recordable judicial outcome.
You may also want to watch:
"Braunton, Ilfracombe and South Molton have continued with their incredible reductions in serious acquisitive crime and have further reduced these types of incidents by a staggering 30.6 per cent over last year.
"Torridge is also performing very well and has the highest detection rate in the two counties for dwelling burglaries at 47 per cent."
- 1 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 2 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 3 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 4 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 5 Northam Murder: Grieving family condemn killer's lies and cruelty
- 6 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 7 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
Supt Harris said the misuse of alcohol continued to have the greatest impact on community safety and that between now and Christmas, police neighbourhood support and Safer North Devon, in conjunction with other key partners, would be delivering 17 projects and campaigns, all dealing with alcohol, anti-social behaviour prevention and violent crime reduction.
"We are very proud to be the best performing policing area in the Force and recognise this is only possible with the generous support and involvement of all our partners and influential individuals across the area," he added.