Regeneration boost for Westward Ho! promenade
THE tired grey tarmac on Westward Ho! promenade is set to be replaced thanks to a �200,000 Government grant. Torridge District Council has allocated �143,000 of the Department for Communities and Local Government funding to repair, resurface and enhance
THE "tired grey tarmac" on Westward Ho! promenade is set to be replaced thanks to a �200,000 Government grant.
Torridge District Council has allocated �143,000 of the Department for Communities and Local Government funding to repair, resurface and enhance the seafront area.
Councillor Roger Tisdale said: "It has taken us a long time to achieve but at long last Westward Ho! will have a modern new finish to our promenade to replace the tired grey tarmac that we have been accustomed to for so many years.
"In these austere times the allocation of �143,000 to regenerate the stretch of the promenade from the Cobolt to the Slipway represents a substantial investment in the future for our village.
You may also want to watch:
"It will complement the work being done on the village green and the village square over winter.
"This is essentially the second phase of the rejuvenation of Westward Ho! and we all hope that the next phase will be announced soon."
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 3 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 4 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 5 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 6 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 7 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 8 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 9 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 10 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
Small coastal businesses are also set to benefit from the funding to the tune of �45,000 in matched funding development grants, while �12,000 has been allocated to the Jubilee Square enhancement project in Bideford.
For further information please contact Ian Hayter, Communications Officer, on 01237 428749, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com