Regeneration boost for Westward Ho! promenade
THE tired grey tarmac on Westward Ho! promenade is set to be replaced thanks to a �200,000 Government grant. Torridge District Council has allocated �143,000 of the Department for Communities and Local Government funding to repair, resurface and enhance
THE "tired grey tarmac" on Westward Ho! promenade is set to be replaced thanks to a �200,000 Government grant.
Torridge District Council has allocated �143,000 of the Department for Communities and Local Government funding to repair, resurface and enhance the seafront area.
Councillor Roger Tisdale said: "It has taken us a long time to achieve but at long last Westward Ho! will have a modern new finish to our promenade to replace the tired grey tarmac that we have been accustomed to for so many years.
"In these austere times the allocation of �143,000 to regenerate the stretch of the promenade from the Cobolt to the Slipway represents a substantial investment in the future for our village.
You may also want to watch:
"It will complement the work being done on the village green and the village square over winter.
"This is essentially the second phase of the rejuvenation of Westward Ho! and we all hope that the next phase will be announced soon."
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 10 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
Small coastal businesses are also set to benefit from the funding to the tune of �45,000 in matched funding development grants, while �12,000 has been allocated to the Jubilee Square enhancement project in Bideford.
For further information please contact Ian Hayter, Communications Officer, on 01237 428749, email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org