SIR - How refreshing it was to see the Gazette s front page story telling us that the two northern Devon councils are finally thinking of sharing services and a senior management team. In a geographical area such as ours, it makes no sense whatsoever to h
SIR - How refreshing it was to see the Gazette's front page story telling us that the two northern Devon councils are finally thinking of sharing services and a senior management team.
In a geographical area such as ours, it makes no sense whatsoever to have two separate councils carrying out identical work in duplication and as a council tax payer I welcome the day when the services can be aligned and duplication eradicated, with hopefully (but unlikely) the benefits passed on to us tax payers.
I am dismayed, however, by the Leader of North Devon Council's comments regarding the post of chief executive.
Why should we as tax payers fund the redundancy of a senior manager's post and no doubt help towards his pension only to see the position re-filled by someone else!
You may also want to watch:
It's about time these politicians realised that it is our money they are spending (wasting) and acted prudently to give us value for money - a term much bandied about, but rarely acted upon.
C?J Colwill (Mrs), Northam.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 5 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 6 'Once-in-a-generation' Bideford development given 'full support'
- 7 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 8 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 9 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 10 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land