SIR - How refreshing it was to see the Gazette s front page story telling us that the two northern Devon councils are finally thinking of sharing services and a senior management team. In a geographical area such as ours, it makes no sense whatsoever to h
SIR - How refreshing it was to see the Gazette's front page story telling us that the two northern Devon councils are finally thinking of sharing services and a senior management team.
In a geographical area such as ours, it makes no sense whatsoever to have two separate councils carrying out identical work in duplication and as a council tax payer I welcome the day when the services can be aligned and duplication eradicated, with hopefully (but unlikely) the benefits passed on to us tax payers.
I am dismayed, however, by the Leader of North Devon Council's comments regarding the post of chief executive.
Why should we as tax payers fund the redundancy of a senior manager's post and no doubt help towards his pension only to see the position re-filled by someone else!
You may also want to watch:
It's about time these politicians realised that it is our money they are spending (wasting) and acted prudently to give us value for money - a term much bandied about, but rarely acted upon.
C?J Colwill (Mrs), Northam.
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 4 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 5 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 6 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 7 There's light at the end of the tunnel - but for now embrace lockdown life
- 8 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 9 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 10 Covid-19: Follow the spirit of lockdown says police chief