Red Cross launches ‘shop drop’ appeal for Philippines
North Devon residents can drop items to the Torrington charity shop to help those affected by Typhoon Haiyan.
THE Red Cross has launched a ‘shop drop for the Philippines’ appeal and is appealing for people to donate their unwanted goods.
People are urged to donate good quality clothing, accessories, household items and books that charity can convert into cash to help those affects by Thyphoon Haiyan.
North Devon’s Red Cross shop is located in Fore Street, Torrington, and just a small bag of items can buy an emergency hygiene percent containing everyday essentials.
A larger bag such as a bin liner could buy four jerry cans to collect and store clean water.
You may also want to watch:
Kate Bailey, British Red Cross community fundraiser for Devon, said: “The people of the Philippines have suffered unimaginable devastation; thousands of people have lost loved ones and hundreds of thousands have lost their homes.
“There is now an enormous humanitarian operation underway to provide survivors with basic shelter, sanitation and food.
- 1 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 2 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 3 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 4 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 5 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 6 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 7 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 10 Brian Greenslade's name scraped off plaque after sex assault trial
“We know that people in Britain desperately want to help but many just don’t have the money to give, which is why we have launched ‘Shop Drop for the Philippines.’
“By simply donating a bag of unwanted clothes and household items to your local Red Cross shop you can make a real difference to the millions of people affected by Typhoon Haiyan.”
Typhoon Haiyan hit the Philippines on Friday 8 November, killing thousands of people and affecting more than 11 million people living in its path.
For more information visit www.redcross.org.uk/shopdrop. If you have any queries relating to Shop Drop for the Philippines call 01883 724220.