Recycling drinks can scheme for Barnstaple shoppers
Businesses invited to join new free Every Can Counts scheme.
SHOPPERS and retailers in Barnstaple are being urged to “recycle on the go” with a new scheme aimed at collecting drinks cans while people are out and about.
Every Can Counts has been launched by BID Barnstaple in partnership with Barnstaple Town Council to encourage a civic pride and the recycling of more aluminium or steel cans by placing convenient collection boxes in local stores.
It has been estimated that of the nine billion drinks cans sold each year, about 30 per cent are consumed “on the go.”
The initiative was launched on Thursday at Green Lanes Shopping Centre, which has become the first retail site in the South West to sign up to the scheme. It is hoped more Barnstaple businesses will sign up to the scheme and get involved.
You may also want to watch:
Cans are being collected and processed by local community recycling enterprise, Community Resources, a not-for-profit organisation based in Ilfracombe with a satellite unit in Barnstaple which provide meaningful and worthwhile activities for adults with learning disabilities.
Stores and restaurants within Barnstaple town centre will all have the opportunity to get involved with the scheme, and upon request will be provided free of charge, Every Can Counts recycling boxes and promotional materials to encourage both staff and shoppers to recycle.
- 1 Bungling Northam burglar facing jail
- 2 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 3 MP nominates North Devon champions for Levelling Up Awards
- 4 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 5 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 6 5-year-old Emily signs up to Appledore RNLI Mayday Mile Event
- 7 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 8 People in North Devon urged to take up the vaccine to help protect others
- 9 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 10 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
“We’re really excited to be rolling out the Every Can Counts programme right here in the centre of Barnstaple,” said BID Barnstaple chairman Dane Stanley.
“We truly believe in environmental sustainability and we are delighted to be able to engage with our shoppers and allow them to recycle their own cans.”
It is hoped the Barnstaple project will help to develop similar schemes across the country.
Businesses that would like to be involved with the scheme can contact Paul Williams on (01271) 855510 or email email@example.com. Or visit www.everycancounts.co.uk.