Ramblers lobby MP over footpath upkeep
- Credit: Archant
North Devon group fear austerity measures could impact on the countryside.
WALKING enthusiasts are urging North Devon MP Nick Harvey to help safeguard Britain’s footpath network.
North Devon Ramblers are concerned that austerity measures could impact on the upkeep of paths in the countryside.
Chairman Joan Long said: “We are grateful for the hearing we received as a number of problems that concern ramblers are a matter for parliament.
“It was good to be able to discuss these with Nick and to stress the importance of walking to the nation’s health, both physical and mental.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Harvey said: “It is important not to undermine the progress made in improving footpaths up and down the country.
“Cuts in the footpath budget are very short-sighted and risk leaving a backlog of work for future generations.
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 6 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
“Footpath access is a very important element of the rural infrastructure.”