Ramblers lobby MP over footpath upkeep
- Credit: Archant
North Devon group fear austerity measures could impact on the countryside.
WALKING enthusiasts are urging North Devon MP Nick Harvey to help safeguard Britain’s footpath network.
North Devon Ramblers are concerned that austerity measures could impact on the upkeep of paths in the countryside.
Chairman Joan Long said: “We are grateful for the hearing we received as a number of problems that concern ramblers are a matter for parliament.
“It was good to be able to discuss these with Nick and to stress the importance of walking to the nation’s health, both physical and mental.”
You may also want to watch:
Mr Harvey said: “It is important not to undermine the progress made in improving footpaths up and down the country.
“Cuts in the footpath budget are very short-sighted and risk leaving a backlog of work for future generations.
- 1 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 2 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 3 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 4 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 5 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 6 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
- 7 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 8 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
“Footpath access is a very important element of the rural infrastructure.”