Raising Rotary to new heights
Electrician hopes to add a spark of his own during his year as club president
A FORMER Mayor of Barnstaple will be taking Rotary to new heights when he takes over as president of Barnstaple Link Rotary Club at the end of this month.
Chris Haywood, an electrical contractor for over 44 years, first joined the Rotary movement when he was made an honorary member of the Barnstaple Rotary Club as Mayor of Barnstaple in 2002.
Inspired by Rotary, he later moved to the Barnstaple Link club, whose evening meetings fitted better with his work commitments.
He is now about to take up the top position when current president Keith Rogers retires.
You may also want to watch:
Chris’ passion is to help young people and he and the club will be concentrating their efforts on helping the youth of the town. He is already involved with youth in Barnstaple in various capacities, mainly with the Air Training Corps of which he is the North Devon area commander.
He has also been heavily involved in local government. A former chairman of North Devon Council and vice chairman of Devon County Council, he is still a county councillor.
- 1 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 2 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
As president, Chris has selected the North Devon Chemotherapy Appeal has his chosen charity for the year.
Among the events being held to support the appeal is a golf day at Saunton Golf Club on Friday, August 12. Application forms for teams wanting to take part are available from the golf club or from the Barnstaple Link Rotary Club.