Raffle to help sick babies
A family are helping raise money for a specialist piece of equipment for North Devon District Hospital’s special baby care unit.
A BIDEFORD family are holding a raffle on Sunday to help purchase a specialist piece of equipment for the special care baby unit at North Devon District Hospital.
Kevin and Zoe Merritt, alongside other family members, will be holding a raffle to support charity P.O.P.S.I (parents of premature and sick infants) purchase a cerebral function monitor for the unit.
In February the Gazette reported how the couple’s first son, Oscar, was stillborn just over a year ago. His little brother Theo was born on January 16 suffering with breathing difficulties.
Terry Thorpe, Theo’s nanny, said: “The reason we support POPSI as a family is because fundraising to provide support for babies and their families during times of crisis and need is a positive and helpful way for us to say thank you to the Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU) at NDDH.
“They are fantastic at their jobs and helped to save Theo’s life when he was very ill.
“However, they are only able to do such a good job with the support of specialist equipment and Theo and his family are happy to help in some small way towards the purchase of a cerebral function monitor as it will help the nurses to take even better care of many poorly babies in the future. We are just ‘paying it back.’”
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 7 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 Small steps of hope for Bideford and Barnstaple
- 10 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
Oscar and Theo’s Raffle will be held at Bideford Blues Club on the Pill from 10.30am-12pm on Sunday to raise valuable funds for the charity.
The raffle will be held as part of a jumble and cake sale organised by P.O.P.S.I.
Numerous raffle prizes will be available, including a bottle of Cava Brut Champagne, a litre of Bells Whisky and a carriage clock.
P.O.P.S.I. volunteers will also be on hand to accept donations of good quality adults and children’s clothing, toys, games, books and cake donations.