Raffle to help sick babies
A family are helping raise money for a specialist piece of equipment for North Devon District Hospital’s special baby care unit.
A BIDEFORD family are holding a raffle on Sunday to help purchase a specialist piece of equipment for the special care baby unit at North Devon District Hospital.
Kevin and Zoe Merritt, alongside other family members, will be holding a raffle to support charity P.O.P.S.I (parents of premature and sick infants) purchase a cerebral function monitor for the unit.
In February the Gazette reported how the couple’s first son, Oscar, was stillborn just over a year ago. His little brother Theo was born on January 16 suffering with breathing difficulties.
Terry Thorpe, Theo’s nanny, said: “The reason we support POPSI as a family is because fundraising to provide support for babies and their families during times of crisis and need is a positive and helpful way for us to say thank you to the Special Care Baby Unit (SCBU) at NDDH.
You may also want to watch:
“They are fantastic at their jobs and helped to save Theo’s life when he was very ill.
“However, they are only able to do such a good job with the support of specialist equipment and Theo and his family are happy to help in some small way towards the purchase of a cerebral function monitor as it will help the nurses to take even better care of many poorly babies in the future. We are just ‘paying it back.’”
- 1 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 2 Northam murder suspect accused of telling a 'litany of lies' about killing
- 3 South Molton pub attacker must pay compensation after kicking customer in head
- 4 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 5 £60,000 street marshal investment to make North Devon safer
- 6 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
- 7 Crash and assault in Ilfracombe - Police appeal
- 8 Six people injured in serious crash on A39 near Barnstaple - Police appeal
- 9 Busy thirteen days for Appledore RNLI
- 10 Changes to reporting planning breaches in North Devon
Oscar and Theo’s Raffle will be held at Bideford Blues Club on the Pill from 10.30am-12pm on Sunday to raise valuable funds for the charity.
The raffle will be held as part of a jumble and cake sale organised by P.O.P.S.I.
Numerous raffle prizes will be available, including a bottle of Cava Brut Champagne, a litre of Bells Whisky and a carriage clock.
P.O.P.S.I. volunteers will also be on hand to accept donations of good quality adults and children’s clothing, toys, games, books and cake donations.