'Question Time' event comes to Devon
PEOPLE in Devon and Cornwall will have the chance to go head to head with local justice leaders in a Question Time style debate taking place in Plymouth next month. The free event, being held on Wednesday, October 21 as part of this year s Inside Justice
PEOPLE in Devon and Cornwall will have the chance to go head to head with local justice leaders in a "Question Time" style debate taking place in Plymouth next month.
The free event, being held on Wednesday, October 21 as part of this year's Inside Justice Week 09, will be chaired by BBC news presenter, Philip Hayton.
It is designed to give the local community direct access to people who work in the criminal justice system, so they can gain a greater insight into the way the system works, and why certain decisions may have been made on local criminal issues.
The Question Time panel will be made up of a mixture of members of the justice community, including chief crown prosecutor, Tracy Easton; assistant police constable Paul Netherton; governor HMP Exeter Mark Flinton; Elliot Perkins, from the Rural Racism Project; and leading members of the media including Alan Qualtrough, editor in chief of the Western Morning News.
You may also want to watch:
The event will be held at the newly refurbished St Mellion International Resort, near Plymouth, from 6.30pm to 8pm.
Members of the public interested in asking questions are asked to submit their questions beforehand by post or email to LCJB2@devonandcornwall.pnn.police.uk
- 1 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 2 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 3 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 4 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 5 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 6 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 7 Drug driver banned after crashing during chase through North Devon
- 8 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 9 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 10 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
Tracy Easton, who is also chairman of the Local Criminal Justice Board and organiser of the event, said: "We are delighted to be holding this unique and interesting event for the first time in Devon and Cornwall.
"The aim of Inside Justice Week is to engage with the community and give them an insight into what the system does and is trying to achieve on their behalf. It is their justice system after all.
"I hope we have some challenging and thought provoking debates."
The event will be shown on Internet website You Tube. People can also recieve updates on the event via Twitter, under the name Tweetforjustice, and Facebook at www.facebook.com/devonandcornwallcjb or look at the CJS website on: .www.cjsonline.gov.uk/devonandcornwall
For more information, telephone the LCJB office on (01392) 452594.