Queen’s award for ‘pillar of strength’
Berrynarbor woman presented with her British Empire Medal for service to her community.
A BERRYNARBOR lady described as ‘a pillar of strength’ has been presented with her British Empire Medal at County Hall in Exeter.
Patricia Tucker, who has worked tirelessly for the community and church in the village and ‘goes the extra mile’ was among those from across the county who received their awards announced in the Queen’s Birthday Honours list in June.
The Lord Lieutenant of Devon, Eric Dancer CBE JP, presented the BEM medals at a special ceremony, saying: “These people are true community champions, and I was delighted to present them with their British Empire Medals. They have all carried out so much work to help others, and fully deserve the recognition the medal brings.”
Mrs Tucker moved to Berrynarbor with her late husband Tom in 1984 and has served the community practically ever since, serving the Parish Church in a variety of roles, attending ‘almost every’ community event and fund raising.
You may also want to watch:
As a member of the Parochial Church Council she has been church warden and treasurer, as well as involved in various church activities including, flower arranging, cleaning, acting as a Deacon in administering the chalice and welcoming visitors and holiday makers.
She also started a village lunch scheme, which meets every month and caters especially for the elderly and lonely. She regularly visits people who need help in one form or another – sitting, talking, shopping or helping in the home.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 8 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
- 9 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
Patricia has been actively involved in fundraising events, including raising the money to set up the village Post Office and shop.