Put heritage into new Bideford beer
People of the town and surrounds asked to name a new “heritage ale” for Bideford 500 celebrations this year.
THE people of Bideford are being asked to put their creative juices to work by naming a new beer to celebrate the town’s rich and varied history.
In the run up to Bideford Heritage Day on Saturday, June 30, Bideford 500 has teamed up with Country Life Brewery at Abbotsham to create a “heritage ale” for the occasion.
The winning name needs to reflect the wealth of “the Little White Town’s” Elizabethan past and all suggestions must be submitted to organisers by Monday, April 2.
The winners will receive a special presentation pack of the first three numbered bottles of the new brew. The winner will be announced in April and the beer itself will be available to buy in pubs in Bideford and in bottles, from June.
Anyone who wants to christen the heritage ale needs to take into account something that reflects Bideford history. This could include the exploits of Sir Richard Grenville, who led mariners and adventurers to explore and colonise land in the name of Elizabeth I.
Or possibly the tale of “The Lost Colony of 1587” when colonists set off from Bideford bound for Roanoke Island in present day North Carolina. For a plethora of interesting historical nugget, visit www.bidefordheritage.co.uk.
- 1 Christmas Drive-In Cinema coming to Barnstaple
- 2 Indecent exposure near Barnstaple park under investigation
- 3 Bideford Christmas Light Switch On dates announced
- 4 OPINION: Realising the full potential of the Celtic Sea - Selaine Saxby
- 5 Hip-hop comes to Torrington Dental Practice
- 6 Property of the Week: Hanson Park - Northam
- 7 OPINION: Myth busting the Green Lanes purchase - David Worden
- 8 Hero soldier auctioning medals to provide ‘best opportunities’ for his children
- 9 Bring the children to see Santa at Chivenor Christmas Craft Market
- 10 Get dressed up to Race the Reindeer in Bideford this Christmas
To enter the competition email your suggestion, along with your contact details, including name and telephone number to firstname.lastname@example.org