Pupils told World Cup story
SPECIAL visitors to a Barnstaple primary school have presented pupils with first hand memories of the football world cup in South Africa. Students from Rustenberg, the city that hosted the England team during this summer s tournament, spent three days wit
SPECIAL visitors to a Barnstaple primary school have presented pupils with first hand memories of the football world cup in South Africa.
Students from Rustenberg, the city that hosted the England team during this summer's tournament, spent three days with children at Newport Community School as part of a three-week tour of Europe.
The group of 11 students held workshops with their North Devon counterparts and taught children African songs and talked about their own experiences of the magical month-long football festival.
Their stay in North Devon also included a trip to Arlington Court, where they enjoyed a traditional Devon cream tea.
You may also want to watch:
"It was fantastic for our pupils to gain first hand experience of what it was like for South African people when their country hosted the world cup," said assistant head teacher Frances Bell.
"We have been twined with the Rustenberg Junior School for Girls for nearly two years and two members of staff from Newport will be visiting in February to help develop those links.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 3 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 4 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 5 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 6 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 7 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 8 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
- 9 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved
- 10 Queen gifts Maundy Money to “astonishing” North Devon Churchwarden
"We hope to be able to support exchange visits to North Devon for less fortunate children from partnership schools in the Rustenberg township.