Public toilets axed to make winter savings
- Credit: Archant
North Devon Council to close under-used cubicles.
NORTH Devon Council is closing a number of under-used public toilet cubicles this winter.
The money saving move is designed to cut down on electricity and water usage and reduce the length of time it takes to clean them.
At least one cubicle will be still available at all of the council’s toilet blocks and additional cubicles will be opened during busy times and for events.
The only exception will be the toilets at the Cove in Ilfracombe, which will be completely closed from December to the end of February because of very low usage. An extra cubicle will be provided at the Pier toilets to compensate for the closure.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Rodney Cann, executive member for environment, said: “It isn’t necessary to have all of the cubicles open all year round, so we are working more efficiently by providing cubicles where and when they are most needed.
“As this is the first winter we have closed cubicles, we’ll be monitoring costs closely over the coming months to evaluate how successful it has been.”
- 1 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 10 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup
You can find the location of all North Devon Council’s toilets using the online mapping tool at www.northdevon.gov.uk.