Public toilets axed to make winter savings
- Credit: Archant
North Devon Council to close under-used cubicles.
NORTH Devon Council is closing a number of under-used public toilet cubicles this winter.
The money saving move is designed to cut down on electricity and water usage and reduce the length of time it takes to clean them.
At least one cubicle will be still available at all of the council’s toilet blocks and additional cubicles will be opened during busy times and for events.
The only exception will be the toilets at the Cove in Ilfracombe, which will be completely closed from December to the end of February because of very low usage. An extra cubicle will be provided at the Pier toilets to compensate for the closure.
You may also want to watch:
Councillor Rodney Cann, executive member for environment, said: “It isn’t necessary to have all of the cubicles open all year round, so we are working more efficiently by providing cubicles where and when they are most needed.
“As this is the first winter we have closed cubicles, we’ll be monitoring costs closely over the coming months to evaluate how successful it has been.”
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 6 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
You can find the location of all North Devon Council’s toilets using the online mapping tool at www.northdevon.gov.uk.