Public can help influence North Devon coast management plan
A document on how the North Devon coast can be protected is being updated and North Devon Council wants to know what local residents think. The draft Shoreline Management Plan Review sets out how the stretch of coastline from Hartland to Weston-super-Mar
A document on how the North Devon coast can be protected is being updated and North Devon Council wants to know what local residents think.
The draft Shoreline Management Plan Review sets out how the stretch of coastline from Hartland to Weston-super-Mare should be managed over the next 100 years.
Taking into account climate change, coastal erosion and flooding, the plan looks at how nature is likely to shape our coast and what effects this may have on the local economy, housing and development, and tourism.
Leader of North Devon Council, Councillor Des Brailey said: "Our coastline is of huge importance to the economy of North Devon - its protection and conservation is key to the success of our tourism industry as well as keeping coastal towns and villages safe from flooding. I would urge everyone who lives near to, or has an interest in the coast to get involved in this consultation."
You may also want to watch:
Coastal Group Chairman, Humphrey Temperley said: "Coastal erosion is nothing new - communities have suffered its effects throughout history and it will go on happening. We need to look now at how we can cope with it over the next hundred years, given what we know about the resources that will be available and how the coast will change."
Local residents have until January 8 next year to comment on the draft Shoreline Management Plan Review which can be viewed online at www.northdevon.gov.uk, at local libraries and at the council's offices at the Civic Centre, Barnstaple.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 3 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 4 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 5 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 6 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 7 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 8 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 9 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
- 10 New food delivery service launched in Barnstaple