Proud moment for new mayor
- Credit: Archant
Arresting moment for retired police sergeant.
THE new Mayor of Northam Cllr Barry Mason said becoming mayor was one of the proudest moments of his life.
The retired police sergeant, originally from the West Midlands, took over from Cllr Jane Whitaker at a ceremony on Wednesday night.
He said: “I know that my father and mother would have been the proudest parents around at this time, if they were still with us.
“I hope that I can continue to hold the esteem of the many previous mayors who have worn this chain in days gone by.
You may also want to watch:
“I will do my very best to serve the residents of Northam, Appledore, Orchard Hill and Westward Ho!”
Cllr Mason is a former residents’ association chairman and has been a parish councillor for the last two years after moving to the area eight years ago.
- 1 UPDATE: Two people airlifted to hospital after A361 Link Road crash
- 2 Heavy traffic in Barnstaple after crash involving car and pedestrian
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Torrington school switches to remote learning after Covid cases
- 5 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 6 Rescue dog finally finds forever home after more than 200 days
- 7 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 8 Farmer who caused lamb ‘unnecessary suffering’ given two year ban
- 9 Moore makes mark as North Devon beat Budleigh Salterton
- 10 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
His mayoral charity will be Doctor Robin Buckland’s Children’s Foundation.