Proud moment for new mayor
- Credit: Archant
Arresting moment for retired police sergeant.
THE new Mayor of Northam Cllr Barry Mason said becoming mayor was one of the proudest moments of his life.
The retired police sergeant, originally from the West Midlands, took over from Cllr Jane Whitaker at a ceremony on Wednesday night.
He said: “I know that my father and mother would have been the proudest parents around at this time, if they were still with us.
“I hope that I can continue to hold the esteem of the many previous mayors who have worn this chain in days gone by.
You may also want to watch:
“I will do my very best to serve the residents of Northam, Appledore, Orchard Hill and Westward Ho!”
Cllr Mason is a former residents’ association chairman and has been a parish councillor for the last two years after moving to the area eight years ago.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 3 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 4 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 5 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 6 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 7 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 8 Devon Police commissioner commits to tackling gender violence
- 9 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 10 World’s Biggest Macmillan Coffee Morning backed by North Devon MP
His mayoral charity will be Doctor Robin Buckland’s Children’s Foundation.