Proposals for 18-bed Barnstaple care home
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Developers want to create a two storey home for the elderly plus 12 bungalows on land at the top of Sticklepath.
PLANS have been submitted for an 18 bedroom care home for the elderly together with a dozen bungalows for the over 55s at the top of Sticklepath in Barnstaple.
The two storey building would be opposite the former Wrey Arms pub, on land between Bickington Road and Broadclose Road.
The application has been lodged on behalf of Wellington Care Homes and Heanton Estates Ltd.
It is proposed to create an L shaped building comprising of a two-storey wing of bedrooms and single storey of day care plus ancillary facilities, as well as 12 bungalows of two or three or bedrooms.
The brick building would have eight parking spaces, while each bungalow would have a garage and parking space.
Developers say the scheme ‘provides a viable opportunity to develop this redundant piece of land within an established residential area with a relatively low impact proposal’. A statement accompanying the application concludes: “The combination of care home and accommodation for over 55s provides a model which enables residents to retain and live in their properties for as long as possible without the need for major upheaval as when their needs require.”
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 7 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
- 10 Superb win on the road sets 2022 tone for Bideford
There has been pre-planning discussions with local authorities and a public consultation event was held in October.