Promise on Europe
SIR - Last week, UKIP Activists had two letters published following the Conservative Party s comments regarding the Lisbon Treaty. To the candid, these letters were disingenuous. The Czech Republic has agreed to the treaty and because we were not elect
SIR - Last week, UKIP Activists had two letters published following the Conservative Party's comments regarding the Lisbon Treaty.
To the candid, these letters were disingenuous. The Czech Republic has agreed to the treaty and because we were not elected into government at the last General Election, there is nothing we can do now.
However, a Manifesto promise has been made by the Party and that is that we shall renegotiate significant terms with Europe when we form the next Government.
We shall be held to account for what we achieve in that regard and potentially, this is the best promise that the electorate has ever received.
You may also want to watch:
It is limp of UKIP to promise anything. It does not have a single MP and will not form the next Government and while I respect some of the frustrations (as I feel myself) in relation to the ongoing absorption of rules and laws which are not in the best interests of Great Britain, every vote for UKIP will help return not only a Labour Government but a Liberal Democrat MP in North Devon and this will make an even more pro-federalist approach. Is that what they want?
Quite rightly, however, the pressing issue upon which the Conservative Government must concentrate its energies is to try to put the economy right because Gordon is going to leave us an awful plight and this affects everybody. On top of this, we must devote our energies to the Health Service, Education, Crime and our Environment.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 4 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 7 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 8 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 9 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 10 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
I have expressed my euro-scepticism publicly - I want to work with Europe but the tide of legislation is excessive and we need to regain our Sovereignty. Another promise which a Conservative Government has made is that any successive government will be obligated to hold a referendum before passing any more rights away to Europe. Please, do not waste your vote, but instead use it to help secure a Conservative Government by returning a Conservative Member of Parliament in North Devon. I promise I shall do all I can to promote North Devon better and to tackle the problems and issues which face us here.
Philip J Milton,
Prospective Member of Parliament for North Devon