Prince helps young Westward Ho! chefs
Prince Charles has backed a new training cafe for young chefs in Westward Ho!
Seize the Moment Ltd, based in Torridge, is one of six beneficiaries of new grants totalling �200,000 announced by the Prince of Wales from The Prince’s Countryside Fund.
The social enterprise company, set up to empower young people living in isolated areas of rural North and West Devon, has received �25,000.
It will enable it to set up a local food business, establishing a cafe and market garden. The cafe will be supplied by local produce and participants will receive training in catering, horticulture, business skills and finance.
By the end of the three year project more than 100 young people will have received accredited training, gained valuable work experience and the cafe in Westward Ho! should be a sustainable local business.
You may also want to watch:
Lead youth worker Jane Elliott said: “We are very excited to have been selected for the Countryside Fund. We have spent months working with a group of volunteers to renovate a disused council tennis pavilion in Westward Ho! and the cafe project will give us a means of training a core group who will be able to raise further funds for the youth of the area”.
Grants from The Prince’s Countryside Fund go to projects that support its objectives of ensuring a sustainable future for British farmers and rural communities and caring for the people who take care of the countryside. They support a diverse range of projects, from empowering young people in isolated areas to providing business support to rural women, including both national and local organisations.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 3 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 4 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 7 Street food traders revealed for South Molton Food and Drink Festival
- 8 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 9 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 10 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
The new Westward Ho! cafe will open this month.
Anyone who wishes to join the training should contact Jane Elliott on 07773 679559