Prince helps young Westward Ho! chefs
Prince Charles has backed a new training cafe for young chefs in Westward Ho!
Seize the Moment Ltd, based in Torridge, is one of six beneficiaries of new grants totalling �200,000 announced by the Prince of Wales from The Prince’s Countryside Fund.
The social enterprise company, set up to empower young people living in isolated areas of rural North and West Devon, has received �25,000.
It will enable it to set up a local food business, establishing a cafe and market garden. The cafe will be supplied by local produce and participants will receive training in catering, horticulture, business skills and finance.
By the end of the three year project more than 100 young people will have received accredited training, gained valuable work experience and the cafe in Westward Ho! should be a sustainable local business.
Lead youth worker Jane Elliott said: “We are very excited to have been selected for the Countryside Fund. We have spent months working with a group of volunteers to renovate a disused council tennis pavilion in Westward Ho! and the cafe project will give us a means of training a core group who will be able to raise further funds for the youth of the area”.
Grants from The Prince’s Countryside Fund go to projects that support its objectives of ensuring a sustainable future for British farmers and rural communities and caring for the people who take care of the countryside. They support a diverse range of projects, from empowering young people in isolated areas to providing business support to rural women, including both national and local organisations.
- 1 Popular character Joan dies at 92
- 2 Rishi's thumbs up to £60m investment and 200 new jobs
- 3 Why Lorna gave up working from an office to build a business around passion for surfing
- 4 These companies are out to tempt you before you're out of nappies
- 5 Young Jack strides out again for charity
- 6 Urgent appeal goes out to help keep teenagers off the streets
- 7 Tennis ace Eric follows in Max's fund-raising footsteps
- 8 Village halls offered cash helping hand in Covid battle
- 9 ‘What a Beautiful Noise' takes to Queens stage
- 10 OPINION: The North Devon Hospice has come so far
The new Westward Ho! cafe will open this month.
Anyone who wishes to join the training should contact Jane Elliott on 07773 679559