Price of beans
SIR - When I buy a tin of baked beans, I expect exactly that. However, what I get is a tin with only 52 per cent baked Beans and that is a better brand. The cheapest is just 47 per cent.. It s the same with spaghetti. Further, reading contents (as ever in
SIR - When I buy a tin of baked beans, I expect exactly that. However, what I get is a tin with only 52 per cent baked Beans and that is a better brand. The cheapest is just 47 per cent.. It's the same with spaghetti.
Further, reading contents (as ever in very small print) tells me that most of the sauce is water. When I was a child, a tin was full of beans, stretching to two adults and a child when on toast. Now, it takes two tins to do the job.
Wonderful profit, but a complete fiddle. I have written to Trading Standards, who have done nothing to curb the problem. I have pointed it out to an MP, with no result.
Could this contents problem be why shopping bills are so high? We have to buy twice as much bulk to get half as much content.
You may also want to watch:
Time indeed for an election and a reduction in food bills, especially for those for whom cheap meals on a low income budget, should not cost twice as much.
Robert C. Osborn, Bideford.
- 1 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 2 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 3 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 4 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 7 'Spot The Oddity' in Bideford for your chance to win £100
- 8 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 9 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 10 A361: Crash involving car and lorry blocks Link Road near South Molton