Price of beans
SIR - When I buy a tin of baked beans, I expect exactly that. However, what I get is a tin with only 52 per cent baked Beans and that is a better brand. The cheapest is just 47 per cent.. It s the same with spaghetti. Further, reading contents (as ever in
SIR - When I buy a tin of baked beans, I expect exactly that. However, what I get is a tin with only 52 per cent baked Beans and that is a better brand. The cheapest is just 47 per cent.. It's the same with spaghetti.
Further, reading contents (as ever in very small print) tells me that most of the sauce is water. When I was a child, a tin was full of beans, stretching to two adults and a child when on toast. Now, it takes two tins to do the job.
Wonderful profit, but a complete fiddle. I have written to Trading Standards, who have done nothing to curb the problem. I have pointed it out to an MP, with no result.
Could this contents problem be why shopping bills are so high? We have to buy twice as much bulk to get half as much content.
You may also want to watch:
Time indeed for an election and a reduction in food bills, especially for those for whom cheap meals on a low income budget, should not cost twice as much.
Robert C. Osborn, Bideford.
- 1 Volunteers come together to spruce up Barnstaple Train Station
- 2 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 3 New council led leisure company Active Torridge appoints director
- 4 New home grown manager for South Molton Swimming Pool
- 5 Murder investigation launched in Bideford after woman found dead
- 6 7 top tips to help you find the perfect wedding venue
- 7 Appeal launched to raise £100,000 for new play equipment in Bideford
- 8 More than 530 nights in a tent - Max Woosey wins Young Hero Award
- 9 Selaine Saxby's Henry to compete for Westminster Dog of the Year
- 10 Christine Stephenson found safe and well