Price of beans
SIR - When I buy a tin of baked beans, I expect exactly that. However, what I get is a tin with only 52 per cent baked Beans and that is a better brand. The cheapest is just 47 per cent.. It s the same with spaghetti. Further, reading contents (as ever in
SIR - When I buy a tin of baked beans, I expect exactly that. However, what I get is a tin with only 52 per cent baked Beans and that is a better brand. The cheapest is just 47 per cent.. It's the same with spaghetti.
Further, reading contents (as ever in very small print) tells me that most of the sauce is water. When I was a child, a tin was full of beans, stretching to two adults and a child when on toast. Now, it takes two tins to do the job.
Wonderful profit, but a complete fiddle. I have written to Trading Standards, who have done nothing to curb the problem. I have pointed it out to an MP, with no result.
Could this contents problem be why shopping bills are so high? We have to buy twice as much bulk to get half as much content.
You may also want to watch:
Time indeed for an election and a reduction in food bills, especially for those for whom cheap meals on a low income budget, should not cost twice as much.
Robert C. Osborn, Bideford.
- 1 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
- 2 Date set for reopening of Bideford Pannier Market
- 3 Rapid coronavirus tests now available across Devon
- 4 iLab marks 10th birthday with pledge to raise £10,000 for North Devon Hospice
- 5 Braunton farmer admits ploughing up 'semi natural' land
- 6 Mystery over Barnstaple builder's death
- 7 Prom schoolgirl killed as she crossed road near Trimstone
- 8 North Devon high streets get set to welcome residents back
- 9 Grand National: ones to watch in 'race that stops a nation'
- 10 Westward Ho! housing plan for 138 new homes approved