Price of beans
SIR - When I buy a tin of baked beans, I expect exactly that. However, what I get is a tin with only 52 per cent baked Beans and that is a better brand. The cheapest is just 47 per cent.. It s the same with spaghetti. Further, reading contents (as ever in
SIR - When I buy a tin of baked beans, I expect exactly that. However, what I get is a tin with only 52 per cent baked Beans and that is a better brand. The cheapest is just 47 per cent.. It's the same with spaghetti.
Further, reading contents (as ever in very small print) tells me that most of the sauce is water. When I was a child, a tin was full of beans, stretching to two adults and a child when on toast. Now, it takes two tins to do the job.
Wonderful profit, but a complete fiddle. I have written to Trading Standards, who have done nothing to curb the problem. I have pointed it out to an MP, with no result.
Could this contents problem be why shopping bills are so high? We have to buy twice as much bulk to get half as much content.
You may also want to watch:
Time indeed for an election and a reduction in food bills, especially for those for whom cheap meals on a low income budget, should not cost twice as much.
Robert C. Osborn, Bideford.
- 1 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 2 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 3 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 4 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 5 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 6 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 7 Camp out fundraiser Max receives gift from fallen soldier's family
- 8 Times Past: How South Molton centrepiece came to be
- 9 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 10 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree