Praise for North Devon tourist attractions
A HIGH Bickington holiday cottage, a zoo and eco lodges are among local businesses celebrating success in the inaugural Devon Tourism Awards. Millbrook Cottages scooped gold after being crowned Self Catering and Serviced Apartment of the Year at the award
A HIGH Bickington holiday cottage, a zoo and eco lodges are among local businesses celebrating success in the inaugural Devon Tourism Awards.
Millbrook Cottages scooped gold after being crowned Self Catering and Serviced Apartment of the Year at the awards, held at Thurlestone Hotel in South Devon on Thursday.
Exmoor Zoo near Bratton Fleming is also thrilled with its success after winning a silver award in the Visitor Attraction of the Year category, ranking alongside Paignton Zoo. The fourth finalist was Dartington Crystal in Torrington.
Judges praised Millbrook for its hard work, dedication and going the extra mile for guests to exceed all expectations.
You may also want to watch:
It will now be fast tracked into the South West Tourism Excellence Awards in November and possibly on to the National Enjoy England Awards in spring of next year. Owners Bob Boothby and Kate Jones said: "We are absolutely delighted to have won this award. It means a lot to us and we are still in shock. The help and support of local businesses have been the key to our success.
"Over the last five years we have put our hearts and souls into making Millbrook Cottages one of the top self-catering properties in Devon. We have made a number of renovations and changes in order to create the best possible experience for our guests."
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 4 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 5 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 6 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 9 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 10 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
Lynn Reynolds at Exmoor Zoo said she thought the attraction had done fantastically well to achieve joint silver alongside Paignton, with its far greater resources.
"A big thanks to all involved with the awards who helped us to attain this," she said, "we came second out of all the attractions in Devon - brilliant!"
The Sustainable Tourism Award saw Wheatland Farm eco lodges and cottage at Winkleigh gain silver for its "truly green" self-catering lodges and cottage accommodation.