Portillo raises £4.5k for Plough Arts Centre
- Credit: Archant
Event has helped pushed the centre towards its £100,000 target for a new digital film projector.
A PACKED afternoon at the Plough Arts Centre in Torrington with Michael Portillo has raised more than £4,500.
The sold out event saw a number of high value lots go under the hammer, including a Dartington Crystal bowl, a private helicopter flights and a week villa in France.
Michael Portillo was introduced by MP Geoffrey Cox, and gave an entertaining account of his background.
Mr Cox said: “This event provided a fantastic opportunity to listen to one of this country’s true characters.
You may also want to watch:
“Michael truly engaged the audience with his fascinating tales of life in and out of politics.
“It was a memorable evening and I would personally like to thank Michael for making it such a success.”
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 8 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 9 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 10 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
In total the event raised £4,689 towards the Plough’s £100,000 appeal for a new digital film projector.
Plough director Richard Wolfenden-Brown said the event had enabled the Plough to take a ‘great leap’ towards its fundraising target.
He said: “We are very grateful to the whole community for supporting this event in particular and the Plough Arts Centre in general, in so many ways.
“Providing afternoon tea with homemade cakes for 230 people during the short interval was an interesting challenge but with the help of Plough staff and a small battalion of Plough volunteers all ran smoothly.”
The next fundraising event will be an Art Auction on Sat 8 Feb 2014 at 6.30pm.