Portillo raises £4.5k for Plough Arts Centre
- Credit: Archant
Event has helped pushed the centre towards its £100,000 target for a new digital film projector.
A PACKED afternoon at the Plough Arts Centre in Torrington with Michael Portillo has raised more than £4,500.
The sold out event saw a number of high value lots go under the hammer, including a Dartington Crystal bowl, a private helicopter flights and a week villa in France.
Michael Portillo was introduced by MP Geoffrey Cox, and gave an entertaining account of his background.
Mr Cox said: “This event provided a fantastic opportunity to listen to one of this country’s true characters.
You may also want to watch:
“Michael truly engaged the audience with his fascinating tales of life in and out of politics.
“It was a memorable evening and I would personally like to thank Michael for making it such a success.”
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 5 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 6 Contactless donation station for Chemohero at Affinity Devon
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 9 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 10 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
In total the event raised £4,689 towards the Plough’s £100,000 appeal for a new digital film projector.
Plough director Richard Wolfenden-Brown said the event had enabled the Plough to take a ‘great leap’ towards its fundraising target.
He said: “We are very grateful to the whole community for supporting this event in particular and the Plough Arts Centre in general, in so many ways.
“Providing afternoon tea with homemade cakes for 230 people during the short interval was an interesting challenge but with the help of Plough staff and a small battalion of Plough volunteers all ran smoothly.”
The next fundraising event will be an Art Auction on Sat 8 Feb 2014 at 6.30pm.