Poppy’s poignant run for mum
Cross country run organised to celebrate life cut short
A WEST Buckland student has organised an emotional charity cross country race to celebrate the life of her late mother.
Sixth former boarder Poppy Henson, 17, organised the school’s first run of the season to raise more than �2,500 for North Devon Hospice.
Her mother Elizabeth died earlier this year after winning her fight against cancer but dying of post-operative complications after being given the “all clear”.
Competitors taking part in the “Team Elizabeth” boys’ and girls’ senior runs were asked to donate a pound each for their race number and many of Poppy’s peers donated more after being impressed by her moving tribute, presented during school assembly.
You may also want to watch:
One student gave an evening’s babysitting earnings to the fund, which totalled �2505.39p.
Poppy’s father Stephen came to participate in the race from their home in Belgium, where he is a Wing Commander in the RAF. He was joined by Poppy’s sister Megan and other local friends.
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 9 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 10 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
Poignantly, he drove from Belgium in a gleaming Audi cabriolet, the car that his wife had promised herself she would get, if and when, she beat cancer.
West Buckland children also donated money raised from the Prep School coffee morning and a croissant sale to mark the European Day of Languages.