Pool boycott 'ridiculous'
SIR – I cannot believe your letters page today (November 11) is not overflowing with objections to this ridiculous boycott of Torridge Pool by Bideford schools (Gazette front page, November 4). What have the parents whose children are missing out on fre
SIR - I cannot believe your letters page today (November 11) is not overflowing with objections to this ridiculous boycott of Torridge Pool by Bideford schools (Gazette front page, November 4).
What have the parents whose children are missing out on free swimming lessons (a vital life skill) to say about it? If I were one of them I would be trying to rally a protest of some sort.
I agree we must keep children safe (I have three young grandchildren myself) but where has the responsibility of the supervising school staff gone? It's not as if there are hundreds, or even dozens, of adult users sharing the facilities and most of those who do are retired folk or other mums, sometimes with their own toddlers.
Frankly, as a regular user of the centre, I avoid the changing rooms when the children are there: it is more embarrassing for grannies to undress in front of children than the other way around!
You may also want to watch:
If something untoward has occurred, then we should be told. However, I suspect this stems from one or two teachers who just can't be bothered with the disruption of their day. And now they endanger other people's jobs: the leisure centre staff have been put on short time, I understand.
It seems from your story that Parkwood Leisure has bent over backwards to provide solutions, all of which have been rejected.
- 1 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 2 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 3 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 4 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 7 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 8 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 9 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 10 Lockdown breaker caught dealing cannabis in Barnstaple
This is child protection gone mad.