Pool boycott 'ridiculous'
SIR – I cannot believe your letters page today (November 11) is not overflowing with objections to this ridiculous boycott of Torridge Pool by Bideford schools (Gazette front page, November 4). What have the parents whose children are missing out on fre
SIR - I cannot believe your letters page today (November 11) is not overflowing with objections to this ridiculous boycott of Torridge Pool by Bideford schools (Gazette front page, November 4).
What have the parents whose children are missing out on free swimming lessons (a vital life skill) to say about it? If I were one of them I would be trying to rally a protest of some sort.
I agree we must keep children safe (I have three young grandchildren myself) but where has the responsibility of the supervising school staff gone? It's not as if there are hundreds, or even dozens, of adult users sharing the facilities and most of those who do are retired folk or other mums, sometimes with their own toddlers.
Frankly, as a regular user of the centre, I avoid the changing rooms when the children are there: it is more embarrassing for grannies to undress in front of children than the other way around!
You may also want to watch:
If something untoward has occurred, then we should be told. However, I suspect this stems from one or two teachers who just can't be bothered with the disruption of their day. And now they endanger other people's jobs: the leisure centre staff have been put on short time, I understand.
It seems from your story that Parkwood Leisure has bent over backwards to provide solutions, all of which have been rejected.
- 1 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 2 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
- 3 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 4 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 5 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 6 Times Past: Bodysnatching in the centre of Barnstaple
- 7 Camp out fundraiser Max receives gift from fallen soldier's family
- 8 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 9 Sextortion warning for North Devon Facebook users
- 10 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
This is child protection gone mad.