POLL: Commuters’ anger over further Barnstaple roadworks
- Credit: Archant
Roadworks appear at Pottington just as Roundswell roundabout works draw to a close.
COMMUTERS in Barnstaple been venting their frustrations at the latest set of roadworks in the town.
As works to the Roundswell roundabout on the A361 Link Road draw to a close, a new set of works has begun at the Pottington traffic lights in Braunton Road.
Over the weekend traffic was gridlocked through the town, as motorists were diverted across the new bridge and around the ‘Barnhenge’ roundabout.
Devon County Council confirmed the drainage works would be completed by Sunday but Twitter users were angry at the delays.
You may also want to watch:
@Taxi_Anne tweeted: “Any particular reason dirty great hole had to be dug at Pottington #Barnstaple at weekend if no work til Mon? Just ‘cos you can.”
@LucieLouux said: “So it’s taken me 1 1/2 hours to get from Barnstaple to Croyde which has made me 45 mins late for work! Perfect first day back NOT!”
- 1 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 2 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 3 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 4 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 5 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 6 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 7 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
- 8 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 9 Sextortion warning for North Devon Facebook users
- 10 I lost eight stone and an extreme risk of diabetes
@PaulTrueman749 posted a photo of the traffic and said: “BREAKING. North Devon prepares for arrival of holidaymaking Londoners by recreating total gridlock in Barnstaple.”
@pinkxpanda: “Misery and woe at Pottington...avoid at all costs... Been on bus for 40 minutes and still not through it #Barnstaple #traffic #northdevon.”
Councillor Stuart Hughes, Devon County Council Cabinet Member for highway management, said: “Drainage is being improved at this location in order to prevent flooding which regularly occurs.
“The work has been programmed to take place after the works at Roundswell were completed, in order to avoid traffic congestion at both sites at the same time, and before the main summer tourist season begins.
“Although every effort is being made to minimise disruption, today will have the most impact as outbound traffic leaving the town centre is being diverted around the central ‘Barnhenge’ junction.
“This outbound lane should be reopened tomorrow.
“The traffic lights will remain on site for the rest of the work, which should be completed by Sunday 6 July, but traffic should run better once the outbound lane is reopened.”
Have you been stuck in the traffic? Contact us at email@example.com or tweet us @northdevon24.