Policeman jumps into River Torridge to aid teenager
A BARNSTAPLE police officer on one of his first nights on duty in Bideford jumped into the River Torridge last night (Thursday) to rescue a teenage girl. PC Simeon Bayliss, 28, went into the river when the 16-year-old girl jumped into the water at around
A BARNSTAPLE police officer on one of his first nights on duty in Bideford jumped into the River Torridge last night (Thursday) to rescue a teenage girl.
PC Simeon Bayliss, 28, went into the river when the 16-year-old girl jumped into the water at around 9.30pm on one of the highest tides of the year.
PC Bayliss went after her, but the girl was swimming away from the quayside, said a police spokesman. He swam 300 metres into the tide to reach her, but she appeared determined not to be saved.
Fellow officer WPC Kelly Edwards was taken to the scene by a local man in a speedboat and both the girl and PC Bayliss were brought safely back to shore.
You may also want to watch:
PC Bayliss told the Gazette: "I was in the water for five or six minutes. It is perhaps the best time of the year to go swimming and it is warmer than it has been. But it was freezing. I am normally based in Barnstaple. This was only my second shift in Bideford on a sergeant's tutorship course."
Coastguards, the Appledore lifeboat and a search and rescue helicopter from Chivenor were called to the scene.
- 1 PICTURES: Prince of Wales and Duchess of Cornwall visit The Burton at Bideford
- 2 Jewellery and cash stolen in Barnstaple burglary
- 3 Northam Murder: Accused carer told police he 'loved her to bits'
- 4 Rosemoor transforms into Wonderland for the summer holidays
- 5 Bideford man dies after Link Road crash near South Molton
- 6 PICTURES: Duchess of Cornwall visits Little Bridge House in Fremington
- 7 Britain’s most influential artists exhibit at The Burton at Bideford
- 8 £100K funding to Torridge towns to support recovery post Covid-19
- 9 Braunton Caen Rotary welcomes their youngest ever club president
- 10 Northam widow was found half under her bed by carer
The girl and an 18-year-old man believed to be her boyfriend, who did not enter the water, were both arrested for being drunk and disorderly.
The man was issued with a fixed penalty and the girl has been ordered to appear before North Devon Youth Court at the end of this month, charged with being drunk and disorderly.