Police will use sports bikes to put across the safer motorcycling message
POLICE motorcycle patrol officers are being supplied with two of the latest sports bikes to put over the safe riding message this summer. The bikes will be used at functions to attract the attention of sports bike riders and engage them in conversation a
POLICE motorcycle patrol officers are being supplied with two of the latest sports bikes to put over the safe riding message this summer.
The bikes will be used at functions to attract the attention of sports bike riders and engage them in conversation about road safety.
The 1000cc bikes, a Yamaha R1 being lent by Ireland's Motorcycles of Barnstaple and a Honda CBR Fireblade from Torbay Motorcycles in Newton Abbot were being shown off for the first time today (Friday) in Barnstaple.
They will not be used operationally, but will be in full police livery and will be seen at promotional policing and motorcycle events during the next six months.
You may also want to watch:
Motor Patrol Constable Paul White, from Barnstaple, said: "Riders of these types of bikes are statistically more likely to be seriously injured or killed on our roads.
"These riders are historically also harder to target to deliver the safer riding message that the police are trying to get across."
- 1 £34,000 raised for plumber Jed Mason with stage four cancer in less than 48 hours
- 2 One of Bideford's oldest tea rooms sold at auction
- 3 New details on Barnstaple town centre regeneration revealed
- 4 Barnstaple dealer says £3,100 stash in loft was poor quality
- 5 Brunswick Wharf developer given grant money to fix quay wall
- 6 Opening of new nature reserve in Lynton
- 7 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 8 Homeless man jailed after attacking Barnstaple soldier in McDonald's
- 9 MISSING: Police search for David Kose from Ilfracombe
- 10 Celebrations as gate to Pilton's Manning's Pit officially opened
Devon County Council is supporting the initiative. Councillor Stuart Hughes, Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, said: "This type of sports bike has proven effective in the past at helping the police motorcyclists engage with the biking community.
"It provides them with the perfect talking point to lead on to discussing safer riding and we are delighted to support this scheme again.