Police will use sports bikes to put across the safer motorcycling message
POLICE motorcycle patrol officers are being supplied with two of the latest sports bikes to put over the safe riding message this summer. The bikes will be used at functions to attract the attention of sports bike riders and engage them in conversation a
POLICE motorcycle patrol officers are being supplied with two of the latest sports bikes to put over the safe riding message this summer.
The bikes will be used at functions to attract the attention of sports bike riders and engage them in conversation about road safety.
The 1000cc bikes, a Yamaha R1 being lent by Ireland's Motorcycles of Barnstaple and a Honda CBR Fireblade from Torbay Motorcycles in Newton Abbot were being shown off for the first time today (Friday) in Barnstaple.
They will not be used operationally, but will be in full police livery and will be seen at promotional policing and motorcycle events during the next six months.
You may also want to watch:
Motor Patrol Constable Paul White, from Barnstaple, said: "Riders of these types of bikes are statistically more likely to be seriously injured or killed on our roads.
"These riders are historically also harder to target to deliver the safer riding message that the police are trying to get across."
- 1 Man charged with murder of Northam pensioner
- 2 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 3 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 4 Suspect remains in custody as Northam murder enquiry continues
- 5 Ram raid burglar jailed after rampaging crime spree
- 6 Developer 'lost for words' as town council rejects £20m Bideford wharf plans
- 7 Sextortion warning for North Devon Facebook users
- 8 Murder enquiry launched at Northam after death of elderly woman
- 9 I lost eight stone and an extreme risk of diabetes
- 10 Terrified shoppers fled Devon city centre attack
Devon County Council is supporting the initiative. Councillor Stuart Hughes, Cabinet Member for Highways and Transportation, said: "This type of sports bike has proven effective in the past at helping the police motorcyclists engage with the biking community.
"It provides them with the perfect talking point to lead on to discussing safer riding and we are delighted to support this scheme again.