Police warning after spate of North Devon burglaries
- Credit: Archant
Thieves could be ‘casing’ homes and then waiting until the owner goes out.
HOMEOWNERS have been urged to keep alert after a series of ‘high value’ burglaries across North Devon.
Police have warned householders to keep an eye out for anything suspicious after several carefully timed break-ins suggesting someone had been ‘casing’ the property.
The first was at an isolated house in Kentisbury, on June 7, with around £4,000 in jewellery stolen while the occupier was out between 8am-1.30pm. Thieves smashed a key safe to gain entry.
The second was at a detached house near Goodleigh on June 12. The owner was out between 10.15am-12.30pm – on returning they found the glass patio doors smashed and jewellery, bank cards, a laptop and digital camera stolen.
You may also want to watch:
A similar incident took place on Tuesday, June 18 at Horns Cross between 3-6pm.
North Devon Sector Inspector Roger Bartlett said crimes of this nature were rare, but police were concerned they could be facing a growing series of them and had also alerted colleagues across the border into Somerset.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
“Our message is please be vigilant when going out and if you see anything suspicious report it to the police – and don’t worry about dialling 999 to do so,” he said.
“Please also mark your property.”
He said police would be stepping up daytime patrols in the coming weeks.
If anyone has any information or saw anything suspicious relating to the above incidents, such as a strange vehicle, dial 101. For the Kentisbury burglary, quote reference CL 13/40; for Goodleigh CB 13/1682 and Horns Cross CD 13/1144.