Police Taser threat to man with sword
- Credit: Archant
Ilfracombe man in custody awaiting questioning following incident yesterday evening.
POLICE threatened to use Taser guns on a man brandishing a sword in Ilfracombe yesterday evening (Monday).
Officers were called to a flat in Fore Street at around 11.45pm after concerns about the occupant had been raised by firefighters responding to the sound of an internal alarm.
Police activated their Tasers after being threatened by the 45-year-old.
A police spokesperson said: “Attending officers drew their Tasers and activated their red dots and gave clear verbal warnings to the male as part of an approved tactic to defuse a violent situation without activating the Taser.
You may also want to watch:
“The male responded to the warnings and discarded the sword and was then arrested. “The incident was resolved peacefully and no persons were injured.”
The man, from Ilfracombe, is in custody at Barnstaple Police Station awaiting interview today.
- 1 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 2 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 5 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 6 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 7 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 8 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 9 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple