Police seek witnesses to attempted robbery
Woman knocked off her mobility scooter during attack
POLICE are looking for three men who knocked a woman off her mobility scooter and tried to steal her handbag.
They are appealing for witnesses to the incident, which took place between 7pm and 8pm on Friday, March 25 in Westacott Road in the Whiddon Valley area of town.
The 49-year-old victim was riding her scooter home after visiting the Fryer fish and chip shop in Coppice Close.
The three men approached her when she was near the junction with Barton Road by a stream protected by metal railings.
You may also want to watch:
She was tipped forward out of her scoooter and fell to the floor, banging her head. One of the men tried to grab her handbag, but she resisted, struggled with him and prevented him from doing so.
During the struggle, the offender possibly sustained an injury to his nose. All three men ran off empty-handed into Little Field Close.
- 1 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 2 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 3 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 4 Council bids for Levelling Up funding for Ilfracombe
- 5 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 6 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 7 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 8 MP opens new Northam Burrows Visitor Centre at Westward Ho!
- 9 Huntsmen fined for digging badger sett near Chulmleigh
- 10 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
The victim went to North Devon District Hospital, but did not sustain any noticeable injuries. There was some damage to her mobility scooter.
The man who tried to steal the handbag is said to be a white man, aged around 18 to 20 and approximately 5ft 8in in height. He was of slim build with short, dark spiky hair with blonde streaks. He was wearing a grey hoodie and jogging trousers.
His two accomplices are said to be of similar age and were also wearing hoodies.
It is believed that several cars drove past at the time of the attack. Drivers may have thought the young men were helping the woman as she was on the floor next to her overturned scooter.
Police would like to hear from anyone who witnessed the attempted robbery, or anyone who may know the identity of the three suspects.
Anyone with information should contact the police on 08452 777444, quoting police reference CB/11/875. Alternatively, they can call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or report online at www.crimestoppers-uk.org