Police pleased with jubilee weekend success
After a trouble-free weekend, police in North Devon reassure residents they will be visibly present throughout the summer.
POLICE in North Devon have praised the local community after the Jubilee weekend was celebrated safely and reassure residents they will be present throughout the summer’s events.
Operation Sunset was launched at the start of the jubilee weekend and aims to ensure events throughout North Devon remain trouble free.
Sgt Graham Thomas, neighbourhood team leader at Barnstaple, said: “There was a great sense of community spirit on display over the jubilee weekend which I hope has set the tone for the rest of the summer.
“I am pleased to say that locally all the jubilee and bank holiday events passed off without major incident and I’d like to thank the public for their support.
You may also want to watch:
“Many officers who were on patrol in their local communities were invited to join in the celebrations and made to feel very welcome.”
Officers working at local events such as Goldcoast Oceanfest will be deployed around the surrounding towns and villages and working closely with the organisers to ensure any disruption caused to locals is kept to a minimum.
- 1 'ThINK it through before you tattoo' urges council
- 2 Ilfracombe man, 64, must pay compensation for baseball bat attack
- 3 Conservatives maintain control of Devon County Council despite losses
- 4 North Devon sign West Indian pace bowler
- 5 Small-time drug dealer 'caught red-handed'
- 6 Prime minister to give green light for May 17 Covid-19 lockdown easing
- 7 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 8 Alison Hernandez vows to get tough on crime as she retains PCC role
- 9 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 10 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
Police will also be conducting high visibility foot patrols and checks of licensed premises during the European football championships to ensure everyone can enjoy the event.
Sgt Thomas said: “A large amount of planning has been undertaken to ensure that we have the right number of resources available to effectively police these events, including the football.
“Rightly the focus will be on people enjoying themselves but we are determined to deal effectively with anyone who may wish to cause trouble or engage in anti-social behaviour.”
Officers will be able to use a wide range of powers including dispersal orders to stop potential trouble makers at the first instance.
Sgt Thomas added: “Some of these events will only happen once in our lifetime. I’d like to re-assure the population of North Devon that local officers will be on hand to make sure it’s an unforgettable summer that can be enjoyed by everyone.”