Police must wait to interview Barnstaple murder suspect
THE man suspected of murdering two women in Barnstaple might not be interviewed for several days yet, police have said. The 40-year-old was found on Sunday morning seriously injured at the home in Fortmead Close along with the bodies of 35-year-olds Debbi
THE man suspected of murdering two women in Barnstaple might not be interviewed for several days yet, police have said.
The 40-year-old was found on Sunday morning seriously injured at the home in Fortmead Close along with the bodies of 35-year-olds Debbie Jones and Donna St John.
Police have said it is "a closed crime scene" and say they are not looking for anyone else in connection with the tragic events.
A police statement this afternoon (Thursday) said: "He is continually being assessed by medical staff, and when in a position and well enough to be spoken to in relation to the incident at the weekend, detectives will do so."
You may also want to watch:
Post mortem examinations were carried out on the victims on Tuesday but as yet no details have been released.
Debbie Jones, who lived at the address, told police on Friday that she was being harassed by a man. They have since confirmed a man did receive a harassment warning notice and that on August 20 - two days before the murder - she had advised them it had been breached.
- 1 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 2 Hotel restriction in Westward Ho! will not be lifted
- 3 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
- 4 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 5 Bid to make Ilfracombe pier car park long stay rejected
- 6 Man hospitalised after alleyway assault in South Molton
- 7 Police seek driver after horse riders injured in Westward Ho! incident
- 8 North Devon fossil hunter's collection goes to auction
- 9 New Pebbleridge Kitchen arrives on Northam Burrows
- 10 Man wielding knife arrested in Barnstaple park
Police have appealed for anyone who saw the two women out socialising in Barnstaple on Saturday night to contact them. They and associates were together in public houses from around 10pm and at some stage they visited Toko.
Inquiries have established that two women returned to Fort Mead Close accompanied by a man between 2-3am on Sunday. They may have had problems getting in due to a forgotten key.
A major incident room has been set up in Barnstaple and some 50 officers are working on the investigation, who would like to hear from anyone who saw the two women or the man outside the property before the fire was discovered at around 9am.
A mass of floral tributes have been laid outside the house in Fortmead Close and hundreds of people have posted tributes on Facebook to Donna and Debbie. Police liaison officers have been supporting the grieving families.