Police investigate arson attack on Castle Green
- Credit: Archant
Barnstaple benches destroyed in fire believed to be caused deliberately, say police.
Police are investigating after two benches were set on fire in Barnstaple on Wednesday.
At around 11pm fire fighters attended Castle Green where two benches were ablaze with flames reaching into a large tree.
The remains of both benches have been taken away by Barnstaple Town Council and police are making enquiries including with local businesses that have CCTV.
Barnstaple police said on Facebook it was possible that four young people were seen running from the area.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman from Barnstaple Town Council said: “The benches were worth £1500 each. They were fire resistant so an accelerant must have been used”
At this time it is unknown if this incident is linked to the suspected arson of the boat moored on the River Taw.
If you have any information call 101 or Crimestoppers quoting crime number CR/049283/15.
- 1 Tributes paid to 'legendary' North Devon vet Brian Crawford
- 2 Pictures: North Devon's winter wonderland
- 3 Busy first day for new Covid-19 vaccination centre at Westward Ho!
- 4 Judge jails 'worst' drink driver he has ever seen
- 5 Two arrested as teenager fights for life after Ilfracombe stabbing
- 6 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 7 Masked burglars make Bideford garage cigarette smash and grab
- 8 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 9 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 10 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer