Police chief's praise for Christians
NORTH?Devon s police chief has commented on weekend news reports quoting one of his inspectors as claiming that the power of prayer had helped slash the crime rate. Superintendent Kevin Harris said he was aware of the remarks by Inspector Roger Bartlett.
NORTH?Devon's police chief has commented on weekend news reports quoting one of his inspectors as claiming that the power of prayer had helped slash the crime rate.
Superintendent Kevin Harris said he was aware of the remarks by Inspector Roger Bartlett.
Mr Bartlett, with 23 years' experience in the force, was quoted as saying prayer had slashed the crime rate in Barnstaple, helped catch criminals, boosted crime detection rates and reduced the number of people killed on the roads. He also mentioned the work of The Street Pastors, who patrol the streets of Barnstaple at night.
Mr Harris acknowledged that North Devon had one of the best crime detection rates in the country.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "Inspector Bartlett rightly identifies a number of ways local Christian groups have assisted in these fantastic outcomes, including the Street Pastor scheme, support to individuals who previously had chaotic lives and addictions who are now making a meaningful contribution to the community and organised prayers for the benefit of North Devon in general.
"While I can neither prove nor disprove the impact of this activity, it is extremely encouraging to know that a large section of our local community care sufficiently about this area and the people living here to make such significant personal efforts to improve and protect North Devon and the quality of life for local residents.
- 1 North Devon company fined for pollution that killed more than 9,000 fish
- 2 Family pay tribute to 20-year-old Danny Goodman after tragic collision on A386
- 3 52-year-old man dies in three car crash between Bideford and Torrington
- 4 Burglar jailed for Westward Ho! raid that left pensioners too frightened to sleep
- 5 Coveted Muddy Stiletto award for Bideford's Josie's Interiors
- 6 Police investigate midnight assault on scooter rider in Barnstaple
- 7 North Devon Healthcare Trust department awarded Academic status
- 8 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 9 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 10 Ilfracombe lifeboat tows stricken yacht to safety
"The public can feel really confident in the knowledge this group of people together with the local councils and police are doing so much to maintain the high quality of life and low crime levels in this part of the world.