Police chief's praise for Christians
NORTH?Devon s police chief has commented on weekend news reports quoting one of his inspectors as claiming that the power of prayer had helped slash the crime rate. Superintendent Kevin Harris said he was aware of the remarks by Inspector Roger Bartlett.
NORTH?Devon's police chief has commented on weekend news reports quoting one of his inspectors as claiming that the power of prayer had helped slash the crime rate.
Superintendent Kevin Harris said he was aware of the remarks by Inspector Roger Bartlett.
Mr Bartlett, with 23 years' experience in the force, was quoted as saying prayer had slashed the crime rate in Barnstaple, helped catch criminals, boosted crime detection rates and reduced the number of people killed on the roads. He also mentioned the work of The Street Pastors, who patrol the streets of Barnstaple at night.
Mr Harris acknowledged that North Devon had one of the best crime detection rates in the country.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "Inspector Bartlett rightly identifies a number of ways local Christian groups have assisted in these fantastic outcomes, including the Street Pastor scheme, support to individuals who previously had chaotic lives and addictions who are now making a meaningful contribution to the community and organised prayers for the benefit of North Devon in general.
"While I can neither prove nor disprove the impact of this activity, it is extremely encouraging to know that a large section of our local community care sufficiently about this area and the people living here to make such significant personal efforts to improve and protect North Devon and the quality of life for local residents.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 4 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 5 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 6 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 7 Council and police step up Covid enforcement in North Devon
- 8 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 9 Three more Covid deaths at North Devon District Hospital but cases are falling
- 10 Northam murder suspect remanded in custody
"The public can feel really confident in the knowledge this group of people together with the local councils and police are doing so much to maintain the high quality of life and low crime levels in this part of the world.