Police are in the Premier League!
NORTH Devon is the best performing police area in Devon and Cornwall, according to an internal peer review. Police chief Supt Kevin Harris has told his staff In this year of the world cup, we have reached the Premier League. However, we now have a targe
NORTH Devon is the best performing police area in Devon and Cornwall, according to an internal peer review.
Police chief Supt Kevin Harris has told his staff "In this year of the world cup, we have reached the Premier League.
"However, we now have a target to get into Europe next year."
He said North Devon's local policing teams had achieved yet another year of crime reduction with 1,300 fewer victims of crime across the area.
You may also want to watch:
He said in a news bulletin: "In fact, with somewhere in the region of 75,000 people resident in our communities stretching from Cornwall in the west to Somerset in the east, down to Stoodleigh and Eggesford in Mid Devon and beyond Winkleigh on our southern border, we have contained reported crime across the entire area to a mere 143 a week.
"This equates to a 15 per cent reduction in crime to complement the 20 per cent reduction last year.
- 1 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 2 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
- 3 Man arrested after 'serious assault' outside Barnstaple nightclub
- 4 Drink driver banned after Ilfracombe Lidl crash
- 5 Surf trio take on epic surf paddle challenge in memory of best friends
- 6 Fringe TheatreFest returns to Barnstaple this month
- 7 Holsworthy conveyancer crowned Young Practitioner of the Year
- 8 Ilfracombe dressage star Caitlin Burgess pursues Olympic dream
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
"In addition, we have achieved, with our local authority colleagues and other community partners, a 15 per cent reduction in anti-social behaviour over the past 12 months also. Our total detection rate was 34 per cent, exceeding our target. Our customer satisfaction rates are the envy of police colleagues across the South West with consistently high returns across all categories and a growing trend in public confidence taking us ever closer to the national target for this shared police/council target."
Mr Harris said Devon was now the third safest place to live in the country. He was extremely proud of the best performing police area accolade. The police and district councils, with other partners, work together as Safer North Devon, the local community safety partnership, responding to local issues around crime, reducing anti-social behaviour and building confidence in the communities.
Mr Harris urged his colleagues and partners to spread the news. "I would like to think in your interaction with my staff across the patch you have time to praise them on this achievement and their high standards of attainment," he said.