Police appeal to find Good Samaritans who helped detain suspected burglar
- Credit: Archant
Two men came to the rescue after police officer was injured giving chase to burglary suspect early Saturday evening.
POLICE are appealing to find two Good Samaritans who helped detain a suspected burglar in Barnstaple on Saturday evening.
PC Anna Fielding was called out to reports of an intruder at a property in Daniel Court just after 5pm.
When she and a colleague arrived at the scene, the suspect fled and PC Fielding gave chase, following him to the open air Queen Street car park.
But as she came around the corner, PC Fielding was injured and had to shout to members of the public for help.
You may also want to watch:
“I just started shouting, ‘somebody stop that man’,” she said.
“These two men ran after him but luckily they didn’t have to touch him because he dropped to his knees with his hands in the air.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 5 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 6 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 7 North Devon Emergency Department in top ten for patient experience
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 10 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
“We were able to apprehend him but by the time we had cuffs on him the two men were gone.
“I wanted to thank them and would really like them to come forward so that I can do it in person. Without them we would not have caught him.”
The man, who is believed to be from the Barnstaple area, has been released on bail until next month.
Are you one of the Good Samaritans, or do you know who they were? Call reporter Sarah Howells on 01271 341658 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.