Police appeal to catch hoax caller
Police seek information to find and ‘take appropriate action’ on ‘time wasting’ caller.
POLICE are appealing for information after a hoax call making a ‘serious allegation’ caused more than six police cars and an ambulance to rush into Barnstaple on Friday.
Barnstaple bus station was awash with blue lights around 6.30pm as officers and paramedics reacted to the call, only to find out it was falsely made.
Sgt Paul Jones, of Barnstaple, attended the scene and said police were taking the matter very seriously.
He said: “A very serious allegation was made and that was the reason we had so many officers at the scene.
You may also want to watch:
“There were a lot of people at the bus station at the time and it has caused a nervousness and upset for members of the community.
“We traced the call after the incident but it came from a phone box no where near the scene.
- 1 County Council Elections: Candidates for North Devon
- 2 County Council Elections: Candidates for Torridge
- 3 Devon County Council Elections: Candidate lists for North Devon and Torridge
- 4 Candidates for police and crime commissioner have their say
- 5 Police appeal after Barnstaple brawl
- 6 New Barnstaple restaurant offers Fine Dining at Home
- 7 Big opening-day wins for Bideford and Braunton
- 8 Dog Restrictions come into force on Westward Ho! Beach
- 9 Ilfracombe Drive-In Cinema returns this May
- 10 Pensioner gets suspended sentence for 'unspeakable abuse images'
“I want to stress if it’s a genuine call with honest intent we do not want to discourage people calling 999 at all.
“But we have prosecuted people before for wasting police time or making false calls to other emergency services.
“We would urge anyone with any information as to who made this call to come forward, and we will take appropriate action where necessary.”
Anyone with any information is urged to contact the Police on 101 quoting log number DCP-20120713-0699.