Police appeal after alleged shooting and arson attack in Braunton
- Credit: Archant
Police hunt three suspects after the two incidents occurred in Sandy Lane car park at Braunton Burrows yesterday (Thurs) evening.
POLICE in Braunton are appealing for witnesses after an alleged shooting and arson attack at Sandy Lane car park.
The alleged incidents occurred yesterday (Thurs) evening and police are now searching for three suspects.
A group of friends were sat in their cars in the car park at around 8.15pm when they were approached by a man carrying an air rifle with a telescopic sight on it.
Police said the man spoke to the group, whereupon they immediately made to drive off from him.
You may also want to watch:
At this point the man fired the air rifle at the back of one of the cars causing a pellet to pierce the vehicles tailgate.
Then at 9.30pm the fire service were called to reports of an arson attach at the cpay booth in the same car park.
- 1 Brother told sister 'you're dead' after birthday party bust-up
- 2 Bideford Pannier Market offers traders new deal
- 3 Chaos guaranteed at the first Bideford Soapbox Derby
- 4 Barnstaple Roundtable focuses on the importance of defibrillators
- 5 Torrington gears up for North Devon’s BIGGEST EVER Table Top Sale
- 6 North Devon builders bums needed for charity calendar
- 7 Man with 'fearsome' ornamental knife arrested in Barnstaple
- 8 Assault and attempted robbery near Tarka Trail
- 9 North Devon MP Selaine Saxby leads World Ocean Day debate
- 10 PICTURES: New Bideford book merges old pictures with new
They quickly extinguished a small fire that police said had been started within it after someone had forced entry.
It was later discovered that a black Samsung slider mobile phone had been stolen as well as £40 in cash comprising of £1 coins, 10p & 50p pieces.
Police are now hunting a white male, described as around 6ft tall, wearing a flat cap, camouflage jacket, camouflage trousers and green wellington boots.
He was accompanied by two other men who were wearing tracksuits.
They were believed to be using a small black vehicle similar to a Citroen C2.
Sgt Paul Jones, the Braunton and Ilfracombe neighbourhood team leader, said “These two incidents are concerning and extremely unusual in what is a quiet and very low crime area.
“There are a number of enquiries being made including forensic examinations.”
If anyone has any information regarding either incident or recognises the description of the three men or their car they are asked to contact police on 101 quoting police reference CN/13/435.
Alternatively call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111 or report online at www.Crimestoppers-uk.org.