Police and fire investigate Bickington fire
- Credit: Archant
House completely destroyed on Saturday evening as flames engulfed the building.
POLICE and fire fighters are currently investigating the cause of a huge blaze which destroyed a house in Bickington on Saturday.
The historical cob house next to the Old Barn Inn on Bickington Road was engulfed by flames when fire fighters arrived just before 5pm.
Three fire crews from Barnstaple and Braunton spent several hours battling the blaze using four breathing apparatus and a hose reel jet.
After around an hour at the scene, an aerial platform ladder from Barnstaple attended to fight the flames from above.
The road was closed for several hours while crews dampened down the building which began to crumble.
You may also want to watch:
A fence has been erected around the dangerous structure now and the footpath has been cordoned off amid fears it could crumble.
The cause of the fire is still under investigation.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment
- 8 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 9 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 10 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple