Plea for sponsor to adopt Barnstaple roundabout
A local company is being asked to come forward and “adopt” a neglected Barnstaple roundabout.
The roundabout at the Bishops Tawton junction on the North Devon Link Road has become very unkempt and County Councillor Rodney Cann has called on a company or organisation to sponsor what he says is an important gateway to North Devon.
Devon County Council is responsible for the road network but it has become common practice for private organisations to take on the upkeep of roundabouts to ensure they are tidy and attractive.
“Most of the roundabouts in Barnstaple are already sponsored,” said Cllr Cann, who is a member of the North Devon Highways and Traffic Orders Committee.
“But I have had several complaints about the state of this one and we would like a sponsor to come forward and adopt it.
You may also want to watch:
“This is very much one of the gateways to North Devon and particularly the coast, so to see it like this is a sad state of affairs and not the sort of image you want to project.”
The lack of public sector funding meant such services were increasingly being provided by the private sector, he added.
- 1 Yelland power station development set for approval despite 700 objections
- 2 Schizophrenic mugger sent to mental unit after Barnstaple robbery
- 3 Search for missing Ilfracombe woman Hannah Peacock continues
- 4 Crooked party leader with ties to Bideford was a serial conman
- 5 The boy in the tent Max Woosey receives prestigious award
- 6 Old Tannery in South Molton to be turned into new homes
- 7 Drug driver banned after crashing during chase through North Devon
- 8 Fugitive jailed after car chase between Bideford and Barnstaple
- 9 Jail for toothache attacker in North Molton
- 10 Finance manager jailed for stealing almost £1m from Witheridge company
Local companies or organisations interested in finding out more about adopting the roundabout can contact Devon County Council at the Civic Centre via (01271) 388450.