Plea for sponsor to adopt Barnstaple roundabout
A local company is being asked to come forward and “adopt” a neglected Barnstaple roundabout.
The roundabout at the Bishops Tawton junction on the North Devon Link Road has become very unkempt and County Councillor Rodney Cann has called on a company or organisation to sponsor what he says is an important gateway to North Devon.
Devon County Council is responsible for the road network but it has become common practice for private organisations to take on the upkeep of roundabouts to ensure they are tidy and attractive.
“Most of the roundabouts in Barnstaple are already sponsored,” said Cllr Cann, who is a member of the North Devon Highways and Traffic Orders Committee.
“But I have had several complaints about the state of this one and we would like a sponsor to come forward and adopt it.
You may also want to watch:
“This is very much one of the gateways to North Devon and particularly the coast, so to see it like this is a sad state of affairs and not the sort of image you want to project.”
The lack of public sector funding meant such services were increasingly being provided by the private sector, he added.
- 1 Some North Devon GP surgeries to provide Covid vaccine clinics
- 2 Covid vaccine: Roll out continues but is North Devon being left out?
- 3 Exmoor Ramble legacy for legendary fundraiser as he battles terminal cancer
- 4 Weather warning of snow and ice for Devon this weekend
- 5 Plans to merge North Devon and Exeter health trusts move forward
- 6 Barnstaple man’s 5k-a-day challenge for children’s hospice
- 7 Devon's Tiki surf brand is up for sale
- 8 Farmer gets suspended sentence for tractor crash
- 9 Barnstaple man attacked his wife and neighbour after Christmas drink
- 10 Barnstaple man cleared of drug dealing charges
Local companies or organisations interested in finding out more about adopting the roundabout can contact Devon County Council at the Civic Centre via (01271) 388450.