Play park project gets the go ahead
Upgrade on the way for Bicton Street play area
A POPULAR Barnstaple play park is in line for a �26,000 upgrade.
Work will begin this summer to install the new equipment, including a special area for toddlers and improved apparatus for older children, at the Bicton Street play area.
The Zephyr Residents’ Association have been working closely with North Devon Council to secure the money for phase one of the upgrade.
It includes �1,647 in community councillor grants from Councillor Faye Webber and former Cllr John Wilsher; �1,000 from North Devon Homes; �250 from Barnstaple Town Cllr Simon Harvey, �4,000 from Cllr Brian Greenslade’s Devon County Council community grant; and �19,599 in Section 106 developer contributions.
You may also want to watch:
Sue Paul, of the Zephyr Residents’ Association, said: “Without the support of the council’s leisure and culture team, this project would have not happened. We are incredibly grateful for all their help.”
North Devon Council ward member, Cllr Adam Bradford, said: “I am very impressed by all the hard work Sue and the association have done so far.
- 1 Braunton assault leaves teen with 'serious head injuries' - witness appeal
- 2 Scream mask knifeman caused terror at Barnstaple play park
- 3 Contractor appointed to repair Rock Park Bridge
- 4 HubHop - New shopping app for independent shops in North Devon
- 5 Yelland Quay development refused - Campaigners celebrate
- 6 Nightwalk returns for 2021 with brand-new venue
- 7 Rotarians have great time helping Lampard School pupils
- 8 North Devon benefit fiddler must cash in pension to repay the money
- 9 Man, 22, arrested after cyclist dies in Bideford crash
- 10 Plans to demolish and redevelop Barnstaple Civic Centre finally submitted
“Sue has shown me all the new equipment that will be installed and I’m pleased to see plans now starting to take shape.”
The residents association is now looking for more funding for phase two of the project, which could include more play equipment and the installation of two football goals.