Plans to move Bideford’s library to Burton Art Gallery
- Credit: Archant
The scheme, which is in its early stages, could see the centre expanded to include the town’s library.
TALKS have been taking place to discuss expanding the Burton Art Gallery and Museum and re-housing the Bideford library there.
The idea, which is only in the early stages, could include providing an opportunity to attract more visitors to both facilities and draw more external funding.
Devon County Council has identified the town as one of two high priority communities for a replacement library due to the poor disabled access and small size.
Speaking at Bideford Town Council’s meeting yesterday (Thursday), Miranda Clarke of the Burton said it could be an opportunity to modernise the building.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “The next stage is for Torridge and Devon Councty Council to work together on a joint funding proposal for the Arts Council for a feasibility study.
“Obviously there are parts of Victoria Park that we need to be sensitive to and this will outline this as well as other things.”
- 1 Vandalism at Bideford's Brunswick Wharf development condemned
- 2 Cyclist left with ‘serious head injuries’ after incident in Bideford
- 3 Real ice rink coming to Barnstaple Christmas Village
- 4 North Devon architectural practice appoints new director
- 5 Firework display set to return to Barnstaple Rugby Club for 2021
- 6 Fangtastic half-term Halloween fun at Yeo Valley Woodland
- 7 Bid for £34 million to improve Devon's bus services submitted
- 8 New app 'Dscvr' promoting North Devon town centres set to launch
- 9 Legg Power in ChemoHero fundraising
- 10 Meet former Children's Laureate Michael Morpurgo in Barnstaple
Councillor Peter Christie said he was ‘very excited’ by the concept.
He said: “I think it’s a marvellous idea and we should grab it with both hands.”