Plans to demolish Barnstaple pub
- Credit: Archant
Estate inn no longer deemed financially viable.
PLANS to knock down a Barnstaple pub and replace it with housing have been welcomed by people living close to the development.
Chichester Homes Developments has submitted proposals to demolish The Borough Arms at Forches.
The company seeks permission to redevelop the site with eleven new homes, two semi-detached three-bedroom houses and a terrace of six two-bedroom houses, two two-bedroom flats and a semi-detached three-bedroom house.
A statement submitted by Shardelow Designs as part of the planning application states that the late 1950s pub closed earlier this year after becoming ‘financially unviable’.
You may also want to watch:
Of the five residents to respond to pre-application consultation addressed to 57 neighbouring homes, all were in favour of the scheme. The only concern raised involved lack of parking but 14 garage spaces have been proposed in a private forecourt as part of the development.
Members of the public now have until January 10 to officially comment on the plans.
- 1 A361 Link Road closed after three vehicle crash
- 2 Thieves steal £3,500 of fragrances from Barnstaple department store
- 3 North Devon men to swim the English Channel and back again
- 4 Bideford woman wins £70,000 and turns miles into trees
- 5 Farmer fined for ploughing up protected Iron Age remains
- 6 Tractor guidance systems taken from farm near Bideford
- 7 Rare vehicles from Dave Vanstone Collection go to auction
- 8 Bideford town centre regeneration plan backed by council
- 9 North Devon woman reveals huge collection of HM Queen portraits and memorabilia
- 10 South Molton youngsters enjoy Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup