Plans to demolish Barnstaple pub
- Credit: Archant
Estate inn no longer deemed financially viable.
PLANS to knock down a Barnstaple pub and replace it with housing have been welcomed by people living close to the development.
Chichester Homes Developments has submitted proposals to demolish The Borough Arms at Forches.
The company seeks permission to redevelop the site with eleven new homes, two semi-detached three-bedroom houses and a terrace of six two-bedroom houses, two two-bedroom flats and a semi-detached three-bedroom house.
A statement submitted by Shardelow Designs as part of the planning application states that the late 1950s pub closed earlier this year after becoming ‘financially unviable’.
You may also want to watch:
Of the five residents to respond to pre-application consultation addressed to 57 neighbouring homes, all were in favour of the scheme. The only concern raised involved lack of parking but 14 garage spaces have been proposed in a private forecourt as part of the development.
Members of the public now have until January 10 to officially comment on the plans.
- 1 North Devon's largest private employer needs workers to expand
- 2 'Controversial' plan to close mental health centres in North Devon
- 3 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 4 Holidaymaker jailed for attacking partner in Ilfracombe
- 5 New Archdeacon of Barnstaple begins her role at special service in Bideford
- 6 North Devon optometrist highlights 'ticking timebomb' vision crisis
- 7 Man left with 'life changing' injuries after assault in Barnstaple
- 8 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
- 9 Great Big Green Week backed by North Devon Council
- 10 'Monster' jailed after abuse victim tells judge of his torment