Plans for local television station back on the cards
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Ofcom has announced Barnstaple as one of 30 locations it is condering for a local television licence.
PLANS for local television in Barnstaple are back on the cards as Ofcom announced its latest shortlist which could receive licenses last week.
In 2011, Ofcom awarded 19 areas with local television licences in the first phase of the project.
Barnstaple lost out in becoming one of the pioneering locations but after a new invitation for expressions of interest opened in March, Barnstaple is now one of the locations in the running for phase two.
Ofcom received 94 expressions of interest in 30 locations, which are being considered for further licence advertisements.
You may also want to watch:
The proposals for Barnstaple TV have been driven by ex-ITV cameramen Chris Harris and Jan Stapley, who registered their interest for the area.
Mr Harris said: “This will now go through a tender process where you can bid for the licence and say what you will provide the local area.
- 1 Northam Murder: Carer guilty of brutal murder of frail widow
- 2 Northam Murder: 'Merciless' carer gets life for killing client who caught him stealing
- 3 Woman reportedly assaulted at Bideford park - Police seek witnesses
- 4 Man dies after 'single vehicle collision' on the A386
- 5 Man dies after crash involving two lorries and a motorbike near Torrington
- 6 Barnstaple Fair set to return for 2021 - 'May the show go on!'
- 7 Evidence of damage found at Iron Age monument near Ilfracombe
- 8 Northam Murder: Judge tells jury to put aside emotion
- 9 Appledore RNLI's Matt Rowe passes out as lifeboat mechanic
- 10 Plan for 173 homes on Torrington Creamery site approved despite no affordable homes
“The licence will mean local television will air on a Freeview channel in the Barnstaple area – it’s one of the smallest areas to be awarded a licence.
“We have had some interest from local people and businesses but now we really need to gather support for the area.”
To find out more, find Barnstaple TV on Facebook or follow @BarnstapleTV on Twitter.