Plans for Chulmleigh pub withdrawn
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Proposals to turn The Globe into housing withdrawn for now while developers consider their options.
PLANS to close The Globe Inn at Chulmleigh and turn it into housing have been withdrawn.
The London-based company which also owns the Red Lion Hotel in the village said it had been losing money for four years and wished to turn the pub into two dwellings.
On Monday a spokesman for the company told the North Devon Gazette: “In light of the issues and questions that have been raised concerning the application, we have withdrawn it in order to consider these and then come back with a re-application.”
Some local people are now bidding to turn the Globe into a community pub.
You may also want to watch:
The original application sparked a backlash, a campaign group called Save the Globe Inn and a Facebook page, plus a 461 signature petition submitted to North Devon Council objecting to the plans.
The group has made an application for the grade II listed pub to become an ‘Asset of Community Value’. If approved this means the group would be given time to bid for the property, although the owner is under no obligation to sell.
- 1 820 homes approved for Landkey despite council concern
- 2 Northam man who searched for child pornography sent on treatment course
- 3 PICTURES: Women 'Walk Taller Than The Trees' at Nightwalk 2021
- 4 Man seriously injured at Appledore Quay - Witness Appeal
- 5 PICTURES: Bideford 10k is back for 2021
- 6 Torridge launches Waste and Recycling Roadshows
- 7 Tributes paid to North Devon librarian Ian Tansley
- 8 Arts Council England announces support for North Devon
- 9 Dolton remembers resident Rolling Stone Charlie Watts
- 10 Sale of Bideford's Brunswick Wharf completed
Miriam Doogan of Save the Globe said they were pleased the application had been withdrawn: “They clearly recognise that the loss of The Globe to Chulmleigh and the surrounding communities is more significant than they had perhaps first realised.
“The group is still of the view that had the pub been managed and open with any degree of consistency it would have continued to be the thriving and successful business that it has been.
“We are continuing with our plans to secure the Globe as a fully financially viable community pub.”
The Globe is currently closed, but had been opening at weekends. There are two other pubs in Chulmleigh, the Red Lion, which is also owned by Red Lion Enterprises, and the Old Court House.